Please Help!! Erratic idling, and cutting out!

I purchased a micra I believe to be a k12 it is an 04 plate, an I'm having a serious issue with it! The rev counter while idling will go up and down, and the engine will occasionally cut out going at low speed! I have read numerous things but want to confirm the problem, the car shakes and feels like its about to cut out while idle! I haven't a clue about cars and need to know what I need to do!

Thanks guys

frank

Club Member
throttlebody on a k11, yes jack
but the jumping tacho and k12 points to a stretched chain, you,ll probably get cam sensor faultcodes
and £500 + usually

OP
OP
J
Would that be the codes if it was plugged Ito that computer thing? Really don't know anything about cars! If it was the timing chain, would it be right that some days it runs like a dream? And other days shakes all the time and cuts out numerous times? Thanks for the help! What the maximum you think it would be? Sounds pricey :/

frank

Club Member
try a google search jack, and the ilexa forum (almera/tino QG 15/QG 18 engines too) there,s loads of info

frank

Club Member
it wont snap like a k11 one jack, because it causes the cam sensor to be out of sync with the crank sensor long before it stretches enough to rattle or snap,
it just get less drivable i guess.
you need to measure the tensioner extension to be sure really

OP
OP
J
Is it measurable yourself? If I find out a bit about it? It is it a garage job? Cars are too much like hard work! Thanks for your help though

OP
OP
J
I've had a look yeah, I've been readin up about it and alot of people say that it rattles if it's the timing chain? Is that when it gets really bad?

frank

Club Member
it wont snap like a k11 one jack, because it causes the cam sensor to be out of sync with the crank sensor long before it stretches enough to rattle or snap,
it just get less drivable i guess.
you need to measure the tensioner extension to be sure really
yours is a k12 tho aint it jack

You have two options to confirm whether its the chain or not. Buy a £25 obd-II fault code reader from ebay and plug it in and read any fault codes that pop up. Or remove the upper oblong timing cover next to the offside engine mount which is held by about 8/10 bolts. And then visually measure the protrusion of the timing chain adjuster piston. If its more than 9mm like mine which was 20mm, then thats your problem.