Please help!? Battery plus red bit :/

I bought sr last night so I was driving on the motorway in this morning. I want to see my engine bay so I just saw small smokes coming from battery positive red bit. I got to stop my engine so smokes won't come. What is the wrong with this smoke?

9ajejaru.jpg
ba5e6emu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just turn my engine on now so smokes are not coming yet.

This red bit looks like slightly burnt now. Shall I replace it new one?

It's not touching to top of this bonnet. I just bought it yesterday evening so I was about to get two battery clamps from euro car parts. It was closed so I am going to get it today.

I just check my engine bay again. It's still small smokes there.

eqygetys.jpg

I can see small smokes and smell burnt from this red bit.

qevase7e.jpg

Replace it as soon as you can before something bad happens! There is probably a short inside the red bit causing the smoke. It may eventually cause a fire.

Last week we had a small fire in a PC at work, caused by short in a power connector; that was only giving 25A DC a 12V. Your car battery can supply much more than that. And unlike here your car isn't fortunate enough to have 300bar of inert gas suppression to stop any further damage.

Yea thanks. I am going to replace two new battery clamps today. I am still looking for the name of this red bit. :s

There are no Micras in my local scrapyards. I need to drive from my house to wembley so it's about 17miles away. I don't have a time until Monday.

I am on the way to get new battery clamps. I don't know about red bit so it's so hard to find the name lol.

The one you have might be re-usable if there is no damage. I would be very surprised if euro car parts, or any motor factor, had it.

Ok thanks guys. I am going to euro car parts now. I hope this red bit won't burn until Monday.

These pictures doesn't look good. :/

First thing, I will get new battery clamps. We will see what happen to red bit after I install new clamps.

I need to drive about 30 miles today. Is it driveable? Where does this red bit coming from? Disconnect radio?

I wouldn't drive it.

I had my sub live wire set on fire about a year ago and burn it;s way through the bulkhead into the cabin. Luckily I had balls of steel and put it out with my bare hands....

Let's hope you've not bought a
lemons1.jpg

On the third picture the wire from the connector under your thumb shows some damage to the insulation, exposing the conductor within. Also, the same black and white connector under your thumb looks to be either the cause, or pretty close to the cause, of the issue. I would Disconnect the connectors going into the red block and see if you can start and operate the car with the main battery lead attached to your new clamp.

If you need the additional wires you could remove the connector and see if you could add them to the clamp, and insulate where necessary with tape.

I'm with skymera, wouldn't drive it as is. :-(

I just put new positive clamp now so it looks ok. I am not sure about this slight burnt red bit. :/

raza3ehy.jpg

emuvy2aq.jpg
y4uduseh.jpg

I am not going to drive this micra (until this micra need to be fix) so I need to pick up my dad's car now. I got one week left to sort this out.

What do I need to do now? I don't have any good knowledgable about wiring. :(

Good job on the clamp jk. Like r-reg says you take the wires out the red bit and and them to the new clamp if you need to. As long as you tie the red bit out the way so it's not loose the car should be fine to drive.

Ok, thanks for the help guys. :)

I am driving this micra today so I will keep my eyes on this red bit.

I post status on msc Facebook. This guy told me that red bit is nothing to do with this engine.

Other guy told me that I need to clean and tidy these dirts around clamps and battery. It could be bad terminal or high resistance. Put some grease on these clamps and tape around these burnt wires. (Small burnt) And he told me that I need to get terminal wires from scrapyard soon.

Yea it is still there. Everything is tight and strong. Still, I will keep my eyes on this red bit. In soon, I will go to main scrapyard in this week anytime.

Jesus why are you lot bloody creating huge drama over a bloody connector block. Its melting and heating due to high resistances which is made worse as the temps climb the plastic then melts in to the connector and creates a smaller contact patch. It connects the power between starter motor, and alternator and battery live. I just pulled mine apart and bolted the copper connectors together

Jesus why are you lot bloody creating huge drama over a bloody connector block. Its melting and heating due to high resistances which is made worse as the temps climb the plastic then melts in to the connector and creates a smaller contact patch. It connects the power between starter motor, and alternator and battery live. I just pulled mine apart and bolted the copper connectors together
OUCH !!!!!

jk the trick is rip apart the red block and then wirebrush all the copper to make clean contact patches for the external connectors

Back