Plastic primer

keyring

Pikey motorsport
Hai guys.
I'm looking for a recommendation. I need a good plastic primer, can't be halfords as i've heard theirs will react when i paint it with non halfords paint, so don't want to risk it even if it's a rumor.

So does anyone have any experience of a good one? Can't seem to pick up cheap painted micra bumpers(would be easier to prep and get a good finish on when i spray it with the cans) So i'm just going to plastic primer the ones i have and go for it.

cheers(Y)

you would need a lot of rattlecan coats to smooth out the textured finish on a black/unpainted bumper :eek:
i used 2 pack primer on my blue car, but you need to "key" the surface carefully if you dont want cracks and flaking

I really never had any issues with halfords plastic primer, no reaction even when using enamel paint

Hmm, maybe worth a go then, especially with it being local and the trade card coming in handy....

you would need a lot of rattlecan coats to smooth out the textured finish on a black/unpainted bumper :eek:
i used 2 pack primer on my blue car, but you need to "key" the surface carefully if you dont want cracks and flaking

Yeah :( going to be a bit of a pain, but like i say, painted bumpers don't seem to easy to come across cheaply when postage is included. And the local scrappies don't have any pre-facelifts. I'm taking a trip up to u-pull-it early Saturday morning to find i wing, that i desperately need. So fingers crossed they have bumpers too and don't want too much for them.

Worst comes to the worst, the plan is to paint my black bumpers, then buy painted ones in a few months for what ever i have to pay if i can't get them cheap enough, and just paint them and fit them:blues:

I got the bushes BTW(Y)

mine were smoothed and painted :) i brushed the 2 pack primer on then flatted and rattlecan-d them

Attachments

• SDC10502.JPG
    SDC10502.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 275
They look flawless in the photo, the rattle cans are matt anway(Well satin, but will be applied so it looks like matt paint) Where would i be able to get 2pac primer mate?

Where would i be able to get 2pac primer mate?

there are auto refinish shops in brum (jawel is my nearest) but 2k paint sets quicker in this weather (with winter hardener) and "airdry" rattlecan paint takes for ever to dry in the cold weather eh.
if you use it neat with a decent brush, you can get a good uniform skin that flats down real nice :)

I'll see if i can pop into a paint supplier over the weekend then. Cheers! Don't suppose filler primer would work would it?

I'm in Scotland R-reg, just outside Edinburgh

I'll see if i can pop into a paint supplier over the weekend then. Cheers! Don't suppose filler primer would work would it?

airdry or cellulose primer tends to sink when you spray the topcoat and/or laquer, whereas 2k sets/cures and wont sink,
and pick a sunny day for the topcoat eh :)

Attachments

• PICT0236.JPG
    PICT0236.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 267
I won't be doing the spraying with the cans. I've got a pal who has sprayed all bar one of his cars matt black, so he's going to be painting the car. Won't be outside due to the weather just now, should be done a week on Sunday provided my arches arrive here soon... Just going to heat the garage up and paint it in there.

Well my pal had said for a decent coverage, go 2.5 cans per panel. But if he was to ultra careful could probably do the car in about 8
I've bought 15, but that's to be safe and make sure i have enough to get it all done, have some for touch up/repairs, and so i can spray the interior and roof rack etc :)

Back