Plastic Bumpers and Door Handles..

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
Hi Guys,

On my 02 plate twister it has what looks like dark grey plastic bumpers right at the bottoms and also the same on the door handles, these have really faded over the years. Does any one know how I could get them black without painting them? and if I do need to paint them, how easy are they to remove or or What would be the easiest way?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi Guys,

On my 02 plate twister it has what looks like dark grey plastic bumpers right at the bottoms and also the same on the door handles, these have really faded over the years. Does any one know how I could get them black without painting them? and if I do need to paint them, how easy are they to remove or or What would be the easiest way?

peanut butter

OP
OP
nathan.warren69

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
Does that actually work? and they are light grey and might go back to dark grey but ideally i would like it black, is the only option to paint them?

OP
OP
nathan.warren69

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
ahh i see, well the bumpers i will try your trick, but the door handles are way to bad for that to work, how easy would they be to paint?

skymera

Brutal Honesty
Hi Guys,

I use Flax Seed oil, also known as Linseed oil. It is in the cooking oil section at Sainsbury's and cost me £4.70 for the pot.

I apply to a cloth then rub into the plastic, it's mostly fat so it "soaks in", gives a nice black shine and it stays on for weeks.

+1 to peanut butter, I haven't used it personally but heard it's great.

I'm just about to apply some so i'll get before/after pics

skymera

Brutal Honesty
Ok this is incredibluy rushed as it just started to rain!
but you get the basic jist of it.
before
14izua8.jpg

After:
349as79.jpg

dcr9u.jpg

Applid a little too much and i haven't spread it evenly, but you can see it's a nice black colour with a nice shine

back to black bumper spray from pound land works well for me,only needs it doing every week or 2 to keep the best results,spray on and wipe in with a rag:)

Micra Monkey

Ex. Club Member
Hi Guys,

You can heat them up with a heat gun to get them back to their original colour. Have to be careful not to overheat the surrounding paint though, keep the heat gun moving at all times. Did it on one i had previously and came up like new.

Another way to get the colour back with faded plastics is to use a heat gun, just wave it lightly back and fore over the areas and the colour will gradually start to come back

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but, just thought that i might add my bumpers and handles were very faded too, but i have just brought them back to life with old used diesel engine oil!! works a treat, apply with a cloth and buff off with another cloth. simples.:)

Last edited:
The old engine oil literally took seconds to do, wipe on - wipe off, tried the heat gun on mine and to be honest it took ages and not as good.:confused: