Titch

Micra K11ng
Hey,

Really just looking for advice on what is the best:

Make
Model
Features
Extra Stuff

and most importantly, where to get them and how much. I need one really for photos, Music (AUX or headphones), mobile Media (Videos and pics etc) and also work stuff like notes and reminders. Also the text function on them would be very useful.

Any suggestions?

Titch :kungfu:

babyboom

Ex. Club Member
this is one of the latest

http://www.coolsmartphone.com/article701.html

i've had the previous 2 versions of it anf thats what im getting for my next upgrade, i think there the dogs ********, very easy to use, its windows software, camera quality is great plus you put in your own memory card which'll let you store loads of music and pics

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
They are not pda's!, Ok thats perhaps the only pda/phone I would have but this is a real pda:

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/axim_x51v?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

Ok so its a little pricy perhaps, but I have had the X51v for a year now. At first the software was a little unstable however with the new updates I'd highly recommend it. Titch it doesnt give the longest battery life, but it will do several hours audio on the small battery, but it is possibly still the most powerfull pda about. It has wireless lan a true vga screen, it will play videos and does a much better job than the smart phones, it also has bluetooth etc.. Its pretty much a small pc really. You can get pocket bluetooth keyboards that are much better than the phone ones and then you have the ability to do everything almost as fast as a pc as well.

Ed

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
I've got the Dell X3. Very good wireless but dont use it for much else! Battery life isnt too bad but i've upgraded mine

Use it for Sat nav with Tom Tom Navigator 5, which is very hit and miss

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Ahh I should have also said I have tomtom and its never once not done what it should do :)

OP
OP
Titch

Titch

Micra K11ng
Hmm, both nice units but the one at the top seems to be more of a smart phone?

Ed, that one is well nice, but a lil to pricey. Anything else with that functionality for cheaper?

Titch :)

RaptorRVL

Ex. Club Member
Well technically that first one mentioned is a pda it just got phone abilities too :)
e.g. a smartphone is a completely other device which runs other software (smaller screen, probably slower and smartphone edition of software instead of normal WM5 whatever). Although the differences are fading a bit lately.

I have a Qtek S200 which is a great device for me. It's got bluetooth, wifi, gprs/phone and camera support (also infrared, but who uses that anyway).
I use it for watching video, listening to music, car navigation (tomtom & iGO), phoning + txt messaging, calendar/appointments, mailing and browsing the internet etc etc.
It comes with WM5 so also comes with some standard MS stuff like pocketwork, excel and powerpoint stuff.

Biggest advantage for me was the size, it's small! Not such a huge thing like mosts PDA's are. And it's a fully functional phone (even better than a normal gsm because of it's functions).
Only downside is the somewhat slow processor, and perhaps the QVGA screen instead of VGA (320x240 vs 640x480).

It's made by HTC and they sell it to retailers/providers who are then allowed to put their own branding on it and give it another name.
Therefore its also known as: Orange SPV M600, I-mate JamIn, Qtek S200, XDA neo, dopod 818pdo.

I suggest you go to some stores and ask to try a few before making up your mind. I did this and ended up with the one I have now. In my experience with everyone I know who has a PDA or talks about them they all have another opinion of what makes a good PDA a good PDA, so it's very personal. When I read what you want to do with it, this phone meets all the requirements but maybe you don't like it at all! :D

Another nice one I fiddled with is the HTC TyTN. It's fast and loaded with nice features, might be worth a check too.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Very true about a pda being a pesonal item like a phone, good post :)

James

Chairman
RaptorRVL said:
Another nice one I fiddled with is the HTC TyTN. It's fast and loaded with nice features, might be worth a check too.
That's the one I have, it's a great phone/pda combo. In the UK it goes by the names Orange SPV M3100 and T-Mobile MDA Vario II.

I have the Orange one and I really like it :)