Passenger side lighting issue

Hi guys my wife’s 53 plate micra has a light issue that’s only on the passenger side

the following bulbs are not working
front side light
rear side light
reverse light

any help as to what to check please on the rear I don’t have a 12v for the side light but I do on drivers side so I’m guessing some ware I have a break in power

OP
OP
B
Also I have error code p1706 witch I believe is linked to reverse switch witch I have fitted a brand new sensor to the gear box

Since you mean the lights it might be better off looking at the clusters themselves.
Sometimes these get corrosion causing shorts etc.
(Please ignore the first message I have posted)

Last edited:
This maybe helpful in your search and should be somewhat helpful in identifying wire colours for each item.
Screenshot_2020-01-16-00-13-24_1.jpeg

Last edited:
Also this circuit diagram for the headlights.
The second attached image says to check the fuse.
Grounds are also important to check.
I'm guessing you have a loose wire after replacing the reverse switch from gearbox.?
Maybe a possible blown fuse?

Screenshot_2020-01-16-00-06-01_1.jpeg
Screenshot_2020-01-16-00-18-42_1.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B
Amazing Info thanks buddy I will be checking these Friday afternoon now as I just can't be doing working in the dark after work ?

Something I was going to try was to get an led work light to enable me to work in the dark or at least a Little after sun goes down.
They are not too expensive on toolstation.
But not sure how bright they are as you need good lighting.

Sent from my ASUS_T00P using Micra Sports Club mobile app

OP
OP
B
Side lights are all sorted turns out the fuse was part blown so would get a reading but now power up note to self in future remove fuses to check them ?.
but still don’t have any power going to reverse light fuse is 100% good brand new switch fitted but no power to the rear wiring in the plug

Here is the diagram to help you out if needed..
I seem to try to answer the questions for electronic faults a lot for the k12. Most are saying that the electronics isn't very good in these. Yet I have not had one real fault experience. Apart from a loose wire on the rear screen heater. That was actually the spade connector on the window so very easy to find.

Screenshot_2020-01-17-16-26-30_1.jpeg
Screenshot_2020-01-17-16-26-47_1.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B
Sparky that’s perfect dude nice one ?

and yes new switch was the first things that was replaced along With some damaged loom rubbing on drive shaft that’s been fixed

OP
OP
B
Thought I’d come back to this I replaced the switch again but I still get the error p1706 , I get no power to the rear reverse bulb when the car is in reverse can’t find any more damaged wires so kinda run out of ideas now as to ware to look , is there any relays that the signal is sent threw ??

any help very welcome again

You should always check you have a good ground connection firstly.
This can be achieved by locating the nearest ground wire check for corrosion usually a greeny blue colour clean if necessary. Next hook up a multi meter check to confirm the power passes through.
You would be aiming to confirm that power actually passes from the item that's not working.
This is quite a simple process for anyone who tests circuits a lot but can be quite daunting to others who are unsure.
For me I would first check bulbs do they have a complete connection.
If one is out its probably that.
Check the wiring on the clusters check the circuit on the clusters for corrosion.
Check the grounds at or near to the clusters.
After those checks test do they work or not.
Then give the guides a good read.
Proceed to check each connection with a multimeter (if you have one)
That's the method of approach that I would use.

Here I have linked a guide to tail light wiring fix should be very similar on all models.

And also a link to how to check tail lamps. With a multimeter this is a great method to test circuits. As you can confirm the power is passing through or not. Also how much so lets you know if you have good or bad connection.

Last edited:
Hi again is the vehicle you are working on an automatic?
The code you have listed is for an automatic.

I'm looking at a different guide this time to try and help.
And my question to you is this.
Do you have a reverse parking sensor and if so does this function.
Also does the rear number plate light illuminate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B
Hi buddy it's a manual car that's why I'm confused as I googled the code and it came back for the park something or other or on a manual car it's the reverse sensor on the gear box iv fitted 2 new units now in case 1st was faulty and nothing I get no power to the rear reverse bulb when the car is put into reverse the bulb works as do all the other bulbs in the holder so I can't see it being a bulb holder fault more like wiring or a relay from the fuse box under the head light as that's ware the wires go after the gear box sensor so I'm going to pull that out again later and see what I find thanks for handy guides buddy much appreciated :)

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Like said before, you have ground problem somewhere.
My right rear light, (passenger side), was acting weird, turn signal was dim and when using it, rear driving bulb was also blinking dimly.
I added ground wire and after that everything worked normally.

Hi buddy it's a manual car that's why I'm confused as I googled the code and it came back for the park something or other or on a manual car it's the reverse sensor on the gear box iv fitted 2 new units now in case 1st was faulty and nothing I get no power to the rear reverse bulb when the car is put into reverse the bulb works as do all the other bulbs in the holder so I can't see it being a bulb holder fault more like wiring or a relay from the fuse box under the head light as that's ware the wires go after the gear box sensor so I'm going to pull that out again later and see what I find thanks for handy guides buddy much appreciated :)
Is it possible your car was born an automatic and somebody converted it? Those autoboxes are terrible it could have broke and somebody swapped the engine

One thing you could do is just wire a 12v line to the back, with a button-press switch near the gear lever (or on top of the gear lever if you can find a way to tuck the wires in) and turn your reverse light on manually when you want to go backwards

If you get the lights fixed and it isn't causing any problems I'd be tempted to jsut ignore the code

Here is a circuit diagram taken from the Haynes manual. This is for the reverse light.
Please notice also that some vehicles also have an audible reversing sensor.
You can see if this is present as there are circular shapes on the rear bumper.
And also the audible beeps in reverse.

Also you may notice automatic and manual circuits are different to one another.
If you have the reverse sensor you can check that part out.
The most common fault on rear or other lights usually is ground connections.
Look up some guides on you tube normally all you would need is a test light tool.
P_20200125_010656_1_1.jpeg

Sent from my ASUS_T00P using Micra Sports Club mobile app

OP
OP
B
Hi thanks the car is definitely a manual from factory, I’ll see if I can get a test bulb tomora from local screwfix or similar it’s a bog standard micra so no luxurious such as parking sensors I’m afraid (would be less dents in the bumper if it had)