Passenger Footwell Leak and Rust in fan?

Hello all!

This is my first post on the site but I have been lurking around for a few days!

I recently bought my first Micra k11 on a 52 plate and it seemed in brilliant shape however, it rained for the first time since buying it and my passenger footwell was wet (Luckily had mats in!).

I can see that a fan of some kind behind the glove box has water and rust around it's metal surround and that the water seems to dripping down from there over a few things to the carpet.

I have had a look around before asking of course and I have noted that both ends of the 'scuttle panel (I believe that is what it is called?, at the bottom of the windscreen on the outside?) isn't a tight fit like the middle section of it is, is this an issue?

I have taken some pictures to see if anyone can help identify what is causing it and advise me on a solid fix for this?

Picture Key:
1: The fan behind the glovebox.
2: What is directly under that fan, please note there is a rusty section on the back side of this element too.
3: The state of the footwell upon finding it!

Thanks!

Steve

There are some clips underneath the scuttle thingie. A green one thats ontop of the fresh air intake. The seal of that green clip perishes and water runs down there. Just reseal it with some sealant. And while youre doing that also seal of all the white clips and the other green one.

There are some clips underneath the scuttle thingie. A green one thats ontop of the fresh air intake. The seal of that green clip perishes and water runs down there. Just reseal it with some sealant. And while youre doing that also seal of all the white clips and the other green one.
I will take a look in the next few days and see what I can do, any advise on which sealant to get?

On another note, I have had only a few drops of water come from the top of the windscreen while driving to Bristol today, obviously unrelated to this current issue but any idea what this might be? The drops came from the drivers side, around the center of the sun visor but on the windscreen where it meets the headliner.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Some of these cars have issues with rubber grommets failing, I think you can use bathroom sealant

Windscreen is bonded and even if the rubber is bulging a little bit it shouldn't be leaking, not sure what that could be, possibly just condensation since the water that leaked in the footwell would have evaporated and condensed somewhere

I can confirm this is the cause and I can also confirm that the seal.around the windscreen (outer edge of the seal that touches the bodywork) is letting water in to the cabin.

I have found a suitable sealant for the job and will be working on this tomorrow.

Will keep this post updated with the results for others to use once I know more!

Thanks for the help guys!

Update 1:
So I have sealed the windscreen with a sealant and won't know if it's fixed until it has fully dried and it either rains or I pour water over it, also I took the scuttle panel off to seal the cabin leak and found an alarming amount of rust.

Spent the day treating it and painting that to prevent further problems.

I will finish the cabin leak seal tomorrow as I ran out of daylight.

Update 1:
So I have sealed the windscreen with a sealant and won't know if it's fixed until it has fully dried and it either rains or I pour water over it, also I took the scuttle panel off to seal the cabin leak and found an alarming amount of rust.

Spent the day treating it and painting that to prevent further problems.

I will finish the cabin leak seal tomorrow as I ran out of daylight.

if it carries on like it has been you won't be short of rain to test it lol

Good to be proactive with these things though. I see a lot of cars rusting badly in certain areas and I think if they'd just done something small a little while ago they'd be saving a ton of money now

Good to be proactive with these things though. I see a lot of cars rusting badly in certain areas and I think if they'd just done something small a little while ago they'd be saving a ton of money now

Quote: “ I see a lot of cars rusting badly in certain areas and I think if they'd just done something small a little while ago they'd be saving a ton of money now”.

A
little preventative inspection & maintenance, or as mother used to say; “a stitch in time saves nine”, saves a "ton of money" as you state. ;)

This is exactly the thing, having only just come in to this car I am finding little bits that the last owner neglected to do anything about or in this case big things.

I'm definitely taking measures now so that I don't have problems in the future, plus I'm learning alot which is great.

Just waiting for things to dry fully and it to rain still so I can update but I have got a ton of pictures in the hopes of helping someone else out down the line

Right so..

Passenger footwell leak, fixed.
Passenger's windscreen leak, fixed.
Driver's windscreen leak, yeah about that... Not fixed.

Still pissing water in to the cabin even though the suspected area has been sealed (same place on the passenger windscreen side).

Going to have to crack out the sealant again and see if I missed a bit, but the positives are that the passenger side leaks have been fixed using clear Unibond Polymer Sealant (Outdoor Weather Guard - Extreme Repair) so anyone else having leaks, can definitely pick that up!

Now to wait for the sun again...

Hi what does the scuttle panel looks like as i am getting leaks the same place. And the with and green clips i don't see them.

Sent from my SM-G615F using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Hi what does the scuttle panel looks like as i am getting leaks the same place. And the with and green clips i don't see them.

The scuttle panel is the black plastic panel at the bottom of your windscreen, the wipers are attached to their motors through this panel.

The green clips are underneath this panel.

To remove the panel, you will need to undo two screws and remove a rubber seal under the bonnet that runs along the bulkhead, be careful when removing this seal as the clips are fragile.

Finally, pop back the end caps on your wiper arms and unbolt the wiper arms.

You can now remove the scuttle panel!

The scuttle panel is the black plastic panel at the bottom of your windscreen, the wipers are attached to their motors through this panel.

To remove the panel, you will need to undo two screws and remove a rubber seal under the bonnet that runs along the bulkhead, be careful when removing this seal as the clips are fragile.

Thank you i see them now.

There then know they would there. Are this guides for when installing new windscreen.
20190923_095424.jpeg
20190923_095030.jpeg

It's been a while since I have posted but all the leaks have been eradicated and the rust has been cleaned up, as much as possible anyway!

Car is still on the road and running fantastic! Just done slightly over 51k miles in total!

The sealant I used has worked wonders and holds up extremely well so I definitely recommend it for anyone else facing any leaking issues!

Your metalwork was a lot worse than mine, how is your car now? Did you manage to fix your issues?

Hi all haven't posted for a while but that rust area was clean up like new the windscreen was all so replace because there was a little rust on the left side pillow that cause it to crack. But still got a little leak through air vent and down the left side pilla at the bottom when I remove that panel that hides the wires and look in that hole water is coming down in there.

Two of our Marches are leaking into the passenger side after a storm came through with super heavy rain. I am guessing that there are some drain holes in the scuttle area that might be blocked up. Will have a look tomorrow.