Pao Windscreen

wehey

Ex. Club Member
I thought I should post my findings here for info purposes as my small scrap of paper with all the details on it will no doubt be hoovered up in a few days and be lost forever :)
I have been doing some research into a replacement Pao windscreen as I have to remove mine soon for some welding and the chances of it coming out in one piece are slim.
I called National Windscreens who searched the country and confirmed that there are no screens in the UK and importing one will cost a small fortune.
They can however cut a piece of flat glass and fit it for you for the great price of £117.
Now I know that the Pao screen has a slight curve to it, which I measured at approx 10mm across its length. National Windscreens have assured me that they have fitted one to a Pao in London in the past with no problems.
The only possible problems would be the wipers, but I'm sure they would have enough spring in them to make up the extra 10mm
You can't just call your local National Windscreens for this service.
The guy to call is Jeff on 0117 3042040 :)

frank

Club Member
you should be able to remove a non bonded toughened screen np wehey, i did hundreds of them in the 70,s/80,s

I thought I should post my findings here for info purposes as my small scrap of paper with all the details on it will no doubt be hoovered up in a few days and be lost forever :)
I have been doing some research into a replacement Pao windscreen as I have to remove mine soon for some welding and the chances of it coming out in one piece are slim.
I called National Windscreens who searched the country and confirmed that there are no screens in the UK and importing one will cost a small fortune.
They can however cut a piece of flat glass and fit it for you for the great price of £117.
Now I know that the Pao screen has a slight curve to it, which I measured at approx 10mm across its length. National Windscreens have assured me that they have fitted one to a Pao in London in the past with no problems.
The only possible problems would be the wipers, but I'm sure they would have enough spring in them to make up the extra 10mm
You can't just call your local National Windscreens for this service.
The guy to call is Jeff on 0117 3042040 :)
Brilliant! Just noticed a crack winding its way up my windscreen this morning and was wondering where/how I would find a replacement. Thanks for this.

I've just replaced my windscreen successfully which I had to do because of a leak and resultant glass delamination (not sure if thats a word!)..... it looked like a semicircular misty area of glass.....

It was a bit of a saga but I learnt a lot and have been meaning to pass it on, I too was hunting for info on line for ages and in the end just had to learn by trial and error.

I initially ordered a windscreen from Nissan, and it was going to be around £230, but it arrived broke, and so did the second. At that point they said there were no more.

Luckily one appeared on eBay, so I bought that for £350 from Figaro Imports Ltd in East London (lovely guy, well worth a call if you're stuck for Pao things).

A few lessons learnt....

The windscreens are actually the bonded type, with a plastic finisher trim.

All the trims had shrunk and were brittle and just broke when the old glass came out. Fortunately I had bought new ones from my local Nissan dealer, they were expensive and took over a month to arrive.

Initially my Nissan dealer hadn't even heard of a Pao, but after given them the ID number of the car they had a complete inventory of the parts.

When the glass was removed, the source of my leak was evident, the aperture of the window had rotted, right in the place that the windscreen was delaminating.... I had to get this sorted before refitting the glass, that cost me £40 from a local body shop place.

Then I had an independent windscreen fitter fit the windscreen (Impact of tamworth, they did a great job). They had quite a struggle getting the new trim in after the new glass was bonded in place, I'm actually wondering whether the trim should have been put in place around the glass before the glass was put into place and glued.

All in all it cost me around £550.....

But the good news is that my windscreen cover on my insurance covered it all...... (classic car insurance provided by RH Insurance)

Impact told me that you could get glass cut to size, but it would not have the black trim around the perimeter of the glass. They also said that they have trim used for other older cars that would probably work just as well if not better......

As a side point, looking at the other plastic trims on the car I think plastic seal shrinkage is one of the main issues with this car. Around the small quarter windows on the doors, I can now see how much the plastic has receded, the sunroof has obviously receded too as the plastic ages. I suspect the reason why the windscreen leak & rot happened is because the trim receded weakening the glue bond eventually allowing water through. Its quite obvious once you realise because the gap in the middle where the trim meets end up being several inches apart, i.e. both ends don't meet as closely as they should (there is supposed to be a small gap and a middle piece).

If anyone knows of a replacement sunroof solution I'd be interested to hear about it.....

Hope this helps.
Jon

OP
OP
wehey

wehey

Ex. Club Member
Thanks for the reply Jon and really helpful information.
I have already contacted the guy at Fagaro Imports and sadly Nissan don't make windscreens for the Pao and the only suggestion he had (if wanting to keep it all original) was to import a used on from Japan, which would cost mega bucks!!

AL Windscreens out of Ely replaced my cracked Pao windscreen and for a very reasonable price. He drove out to my place (west of Cambridge), removed the old windscreen, custom cut a new one (flat glass), and returned to install within 3 days. He even painted the black trim around the edge of the glass. Very efficient and highly recommended.

OP
OP
wehey

wehey

Ex. Club Member
AL Windscreens out of Ely replaced my cracked Pao windscreen and for a very reasonable price. He drove out to my place (west of Cambridge), removed the old windscreen, custom cut a new one (flat glass), and returned to install within 3 days. He even painted the black trim around the edge of the glass. Very efficient and highly recommended.
That's great to know. :)
So the flat glass works ok?