PAO adventures

Hi everyone,

My first time posting here. I recently acquired a Pao with a broken transmission (I knew this to be the case). The car is in fabulous shape and my wife has always wanted this car for a store/driving advert she runs in Vancouver, Canada. I understood the parts are transferable from Micra cars so took the plunge.

The transmission is a 3 speed automatic (noted as RN3F01A) and once I pulled it out and opened the case I found broken pinion gear, diff gear and damaged case so my hopes of rebuilding are shot. I started looking for an alternative and noticed that the RL3F01A is listed along side (it seems to be the North American version) - I see a few minor differences between the diagrams of the "L" vs the physical "N" (I think it's L = lockup converter vs I assume N = normal?).

My questions are the following:

1. Has anyone successfully put in a "L" transmission into a Pao? I can source (although very tough in North America because of the age of the cars) and rebuild.
2. Does anyone have the "N" by chance? I'm obviously willing to ship?
3. Any other wisdom? I'm like 3 days deep into this.....

I don't want to do full engine swaps or manual swaps (yet), I'm just trying to get this thing running reliably for now but will keep the car so don't mind spending a bit of money.

thanks,

from Vancouver BC

Hi everyone,

My first time posting here. I recently acquired a Pao with a broken transmission (I knew this to be the case). The car is in fabulous shape and my wife has always wanted this car for a store/driving advert she runs in Vancouver, Canada. I understood the parts are transferable from Micra cars so took the plunge.

The transmission is a 3 speed automatic (noted as RN3F01A) and once I pulled it out and opened the case I found broken pinion gear, diff gear and damaged case so my hopes of rebuilding are shot. I started looking for an alternative and noticed that the RL3F01A is listed along side (it seems to be the North American version) - I see a few minor differences between the diagrams of the "L" vs the physical "N" (I think it's L = lockup converter vs I assume N = normal?).

My questions are the following:

1. Has anyone successfully put in a "L" transmission into a Pao? I can source (although very tough in North America because of the age of the cars) and rebuild.
2. Does anyone have the "N" by chance? I'm obviously willing to ship?
3. Any other wisdom? I'm like 3 days deep into this.....

I don't want to do full engine swaps or manual swaps (yet), I'm just trying to get this thing running reliably for now but will keep the car so don't mind spending a bit of money.

thanks,

from Vancouver BC

From NZ here, I would get a Mirca K10 three stage auto second hand from the UK as they are cheap and its a simple fit up to replace it. Freight is the expensive part but at the end of the day do some homework and find out freight costs from the UK to Canada.
If you are three days into it and want to just get it up and going at this stage I would do that.

OP
OP
Y
Thanks for the reply. I found a low mileage unit from a Figaro that a local shop was breaking and bought it. As a precaution I'm doing the filter, pan gasket, axle seals and torque converter seal and bushing.

I also pulled the engine as well and doing the basics like timing belt, water pump, gaskets, coolant pipe, motor mounts etc.

Just waiting on my parts now.....

OP
OP
Y
thought I would make this a little bit of a fun PAO refresh thread as there is so little on these cars around. After dragging this car home, getting it running and confirming that the transmission was toast I am doing a bit of a mechanical refresh. Here is some photos and a little thread for those interested. BTW, I am not a fan of the hideous wheels and have recently found some 12x4.5 Mini wheels - any idea if they fit? Once I get it running I may go check them out, but for now I am left wondering.

First photo is how I found it.
IMG_5001.JPG

How is this project going? I just got a PAO (I'm in Texas) Not too much needs to be done as of now, but the motor mounts are shot, did you have any luck finding mount for yours? Are they the same as a Micra?

OP
OP
Y
Hey, I am not sure if they are, but I don't think I was able to find them on RockAuto anyway. I ended up ordering from http://www.jp-carparts.com/ and https://partsouq.com/ and have been happy with the pricing and the speed at which they came. One thing I wanted to highlight is not to order brake rotors (they are very expensive there), and I ended up using rockauto.com from a Micra.

My engine is back in, but I've been busy with life so have not had a chance to hook it back up yet.

OP
OP
Y
Quick update to say we're rolling. I got the car back together yesterday and took it for a drive. Runs, shifts, stops (got new brakes) and drives great! Next project is replacement shocks - I can get rears no problem in North America, struggling finding replacement fronts - any leads? I just want stock. Also seeking better fitting wheels - not only are mine horrible looking they rub and bottom out and they don't actually fit that well on the hubs/studs. Need to do something about that dented up front bumper, but hey we're rolling!
IMG_0073.JPG

OP
OP
Y
Big Jas, you say upgrade, I am intrigued....what else fits? I am in Canada so options may be limted. Got any part numbers? After some searching it may be that Pulsar 1.6L struts fit, any thoughts?

I've been driving a week now, steering and suspension is horrid, but hey I'm enjoying all the thumbs up! My steering rack is total crap, has so much play in it, that's next after the non-existant shocks

These are what I am using in full race/comp spec, I have a stock set of front struts with aftermarket king springs that I don't need but I think frieght might make them unfeasible for you as you are better off spending the money for proper coilovers like my F Tuned set

Attachments

• 1472109482277.jpg
    1472109482277.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 305
OP
OP
Y
Big Jas! that's awesome work! I love this set up! 5 spd I assume? Are those Mini wheels? what size?

I'm digging into the suspension soon. Ordering stock Pulsar shocks for now and control arms because it's down right dangerous to drive. My new Webasto roof survived a major downpour as well but I'm not happy at all with the way it looks.....cables are not tight enough.

The wheels are JDM classic Speed Star Racing RS8 rims in 14x6 +40, I need to add some spacers to the rears to fill the arches a little more. The gearbox is an close ratio 5 speed box from a March Superturbo with the factory Superturbo viscous LSD

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Micra Sports Club mobile app