Panhard Rods

Titch

Micra K11ng
Rights, since i'm retarted, i was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on what a panhard rod actually does. Was speaking to Neil about it at the weekend, and he said since i've now got it lowered, i should probally get one.
Are they easy to fit and stuff?
Cheers - Titch :kungfu:

SR_Micra_Boy

Ex. Club Member
Just to throw a but more light on this, obvs everything has shifted over to the left with the car being lowered and he is getting more scrubbage on the left hand side due to this, cant help u on the fitment side of things unfortunately mate, sorry

mike

I love Ed!!!!
A quick explanation as my brain is fried.

The panhard rod (FIXED LENGTH) is linked to both sides of the axle. This levels the rear axle with the front axle. When you lower you car as the panhard rod is fixed the axle shifts out of line with the front axle, this is made worse due to the fact we have cupped springs on the back of the car. As the panhard rod is under more compression due to the car being lowered, you may find that the panhard rod starts to bend, this will eventually lead to variation in the rear axle's alighment (this will always be out when you lower your car). You may also find that the car turns easier in one direction compared to another the other direction and the tyres rub more on one side compared to the other side, this is partially down to the car's weight distribution being disrupted and being off set. The last problem you may find is bump steer.

Titch your car will suffer from this even more than most K11 due to the amount its been lowered. £40 for a Whiteline panhard rod is little to pay to get this sorted. I've heard that you have lowered your car 80mm, if that is the case i would seriously consider a castor kit and a camber kit as this will be really far out and you could not be able to fix this without them.

Mike

OP
OP
Titch

Titch

Micra K11ng
Okay mate, will get looking into it at the moment. As SR_Micra_Boy said, at the back of the car, it's more over to the drivers than the passengers side. A while ago i had a crash and it was the passenger back wheel that hit first. So i thought i'd maybe knocked it out of alignment or something, but it seems to happen with every micra when its lowered.
Also, i'm down by 83mm, so where can i get a castor kit and a camber kit from, and what will it cost/do?
Titch

mike

I love Ed!!!!
Just spoke to Dave and he confirmed with me that the axle is shifted to the drivers side when its lowered.

All whiteline gear is avaliable from Demon Tweeks or directly from Whiteline. It would be easier to get it from Demon Tweeks as they deal with it going through customs.

Mike