painting bodykits

B

Baker

hi just recently bought side skirts for my k10, but there white. Im wanting to spray them either black or red (cars red), can I use just normal car body spray & primer or do I have to use a special type of paint. has anybody coloured there bodykits to match the colour of there car?, anybody help?

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
You will need the following:

Plastic primer
Sand Paper
High build primer,
then the colour of your car.

'Solid' paints, i.e. those that are single colours and not metalics dont require a laquer - so you dont need that.

You will need to spray the side skirts in this order:

Sand back with a fine grade sand paper (start with around 350) then apply plastic primer (I'm assuming here that in sanding to make a key in the surface you exposed plastic) Allow this to dry then apply the high build primer. Let this set and then sand it back with 800 grit paper to make it totally smooth (do not sand thrught this primer) finally you should have a totally smooth surface, you now put your colour coat on. Let this go off overnight then the following day you will need to polish the paint up with something like paint cutting compound. This is quite hard work, but after this polish and you should be left with a really nice shiny surface.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Well there is some sense to that as youll never get the finish with cans really.
Jim - yeah I agree.