P0340 on K11

Have a 51 plate K11 1.0 auto. Engine management light came on. 72k miles. Symptoms: very difficult to start when engine hot; fairly easy to start when cold. Garage said cam chain has stretched and £900 to replace, so advice is take to scrap yard and get £60. Apart from this fault, car is in excellent condition having been kept in garage. Took to another "tame garage". They spent quite a lot of time on the car and replaced camshaft position sensor with genuine Nissan replacement (£72). They also cleaned throttle body but no difference so also concluded replacement timing chain needed.

I've done basic work on cars before (including timing belt on a VW), but feel changing timing chain on this Micra is a bit beyond my capabilities and don't feel confident - although probably have most of the tools to do the job. I did change the water pump on the K11, but lack of space around the pump made this a difficult task for me. However, feel very relunctant to take car to scrap yard since it runs well. Any one know of a garage near Bournemouth that could change the timing chain at sensible cost? This is my preference. Otherwise, is it possible to change the timing chain myself? I have a double garage, but no pit. Can the job be done without taking engine out of car? I only have Haynes manual for guidance. Not sure if kits come with sealing rings for oil galleries, or best place to get a kit. GSF sell for £90, but no idea if they have everything needed. Preference would be to get a garage to do this job.

Another member commented that it's the K12 that had timing chain problems. I just don't know what to do now...

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ian

i doubt very much its the chains ian, k11,s have 2 short chains that will rattle for years before flagging up a sensor issue.
the k12 has 1 long chain that causes running problems with minor stretch
have you tried driving it with the maf disconnected for a day ?

i doubt very much its the chains ian, k11,s have 2 short chains that will rattle for years before flagging up a sensor issue.
the k12 has 1 long chain that causes running problems with minor stretch
have you tried driving it with the maf disconnected for a day ?
Hello Frank,

Thank you for your kind reply (and for replying before). I'll try disconnecting the MAF. One of the garages I took the car to said the car ran OK with the MAF sensor disconnected. They also cleaned the throttle body, but this had no effect Do you know if a faulty MAF can cause the P0340 code?

Many thanks for your guidance,

Ian

Back