Over fuelling? And sluggish power? High mileage micra

Hi everyone, I would like to share this useful thread if anyone got problems with over fuelling and sluggish power.

My car is GX 1.0L 1996. It was 69,000 miles in feb 2012 so today, it's 115138 miles. The difference mile is 46,138 miles. I know that I need to change most old parts into new parts. I want to keep my GX for a longer term. (My aim is to keep her in 5 years time or more) Its two years so far.

Things that I done to my GX so far:-
- changed fourth cv joints so far.
- two years old aftermarket clutch. I installed new clutch when I bought her in feb 2012.
- replaced good secondhand gearbox.
- serviced her for 6 times so I need to service her very soon when I sort these problems first.
- replaced new alternator belt. I haven't change new water pump and belt since I changed new alternator belt.
- throttle body service. ( done only one service so far)
- ign timing ( done twice times)

Recently, I sent a picture of my spark plugs so it was very sooty. (carbon/black dirts) Everyone said that I need to sort my over fuelling problems so I haven't solve these problems yet. My car is sluggish when I drive everywhere so I need to sort her out ASAP.

Last year, i went R reg place so he helped me to do throttle body service and ign timing. This throttle body got wax deleted so is it normal or not? When we done these jobs so my car was so perfect to ran. Now, it's so weird lack power and bad sluggish from gear 2 to 4.

Throttle body:
I got two spare throttle bodies which are from 1.3. One of them was reconditioned in 2008 and other one is unknown. I know everything. (Removal job, carb cleaner and soldering) The problem is that I don't know how to use multimedia to test them. Please can anyone explain to me? I need to get one so I will find one soon.

Ign timing:
Last year, R reg sorted it for me nicely so it was ok to ran for months. Recently, I went to my uncle place so he sorted it again. It was done by their hands. I think my ign timing is not good cos it's on high rev. I will need to get timing gun soon so Does anyone know how to use timing gun?

Coolant/temp sensors:
My temp gauge is not reading properly for a year now so I don't have any problem with this coolant and heating system. This needle will go on low and middle sometimes. It likes up and down. There are two different coolant sensors so I want to change both of them. Please can anyone show me links what do I need to get? I changed temp gauge before so it can't be faulty one.

O2 sensor:
This O2 sensor is still from nissan factory. I can imagine this O2 sensor got covered by carbon/black dirts so is it possible to clean it or not? How do I need to know if this is working or not? I am thinking to get new one.

Dizzy cap:
I haven't check since feb 2012 so I know it's long time. I managed to get 150 pieces halfords mechanic tool recently. If this dizzy cap got covered by white oxides so I will need to use wire brush to clean it out.

I want to stop comment for a time being now. I will need to sort out with throttle body, ign timing, coolant sensors, O2 sensor and dizzy cap.

If I miss out something that I need to change old parts into new parts then please tell me. Anything that you want to tell then please tell me.

Thanks for reading.
Cheers
JK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J
Cold start is ok but it got a few problems. It will be cut out and blue smokes sometimes. If only when I use her in every first start in every mornings and leave her alone for more than an hour.

pollyp

Club Member
before diving into the engine bay, I usually prefer to first plug the laptop into the diagnostic plug to check for any stored error codes and monitor all the electronic sensors behavior using software like nissan datascan or ecutalk, some are free online. any codes and/or abnormal readings would help point you in the right direction to check rather than guessing n waste time.

without a consult diagnostic cable, you can enable the onboard ecu diagnostic mode on some k11 by shorting the two lower left diagnostic port pins with a paperclip for 2 sec during IGN (facelift ports will be upside down so it's very important to preferably check with haynes). the long & short engine light pulses shows the codes. running the engine straight afterwards will enable O2 sensor status (on = lean, off = rich).

let's go through the engines system to check why it's under-performing.

Throttle Body:
I've deleted r-regs TB fast idle waxstat cos they very commonly seize up n cause running issues. I removed the fault, thoroughly cleaned & calibrated the IACV, checked timing, then adjusted the warm idle bleed screw.
wrote a guide
http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-19#post-446256

Compression:
check the warm engines compression. they should be all within 1bar of each other and 11-13bars.
if compression is too low and smokes under acceleration, the rings could be worn, losing combustion pressure/power and forcing oil vapour into the intake via blowby.

Ignition:
wirebrush the white oxide off the dizzy cap electrodes to restore spark strength especially during cold start.
warm up engine, unplug TPS, adjust idle to 700rpm, hook timing light to HT lead 1, check the strobe on crank pulley is showing 15deg btdc, adjust dizzy angle, reconnect TPS, readjust idle to 700rpm if needed.

O2:
run diagnostic mode, hold warm engine at 2k and monitor the response of the sensor.
on a laptop or reader, the o2 dial should cycle up/down quickly bout twice a sec.
with the paperclip trick, the eng light should flash on/off twice a sec.
if any slower, then it should be replaced.

when the sensor is too slow, the mixture will be out of spec.
if it doesn't respond, the ecu goes to safe-rich mode and wastes fuel n power n fuel wash the bores n prob wreck the cat.

Temp sensor:
single pin sensor under the dizzy is the gauge sensor.
2 pin sensor is for the ecu.
remove and check their resistance is within spec in pan of hot water.
faulty sensor will make the ecu always run in cold-start rich.

Thermostat:
remove and check in a boiling pan of water that it still fully opens above 82c and closed below 82c.
video
http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-95#post-633626

a thermostat stuck open will never let the engine heat up so it always runs under cold-start rich.

OP
OP
J
Thanks pollyp. First thing is that I need to get nissan data scan. I found nissan USB cable which is cost £65. Is it worth it or not?

Edit: I am going to download nissan data scan to see if it's working or not. ( it will be download in torrent Lool.) If it's not working then I will purchase from nissan datascan website.

OP
OP
J
Thanks man! I was looking for this cable. Frank posted this link before so thanks for the link.

I am at work at the moment so my brother said he can't get it for free lol. He is downloading nissan Datascan trial. Is there anything good? If not then I will purchase nissan Datascan 1 software when I get this cable.

Thanks guys

JK

OP
OP
J
One thing, my car is still driveable so it got problems with over fuelling and sluggish power. I know I am wasting fuel a lot. :( Still I need my car to make the money.

Is it going to be worst or I shouldn't drive my car until I sort these problems first.

frank

Club Member
Thanks man! I was looking for this cable. Frank posted this link before so thanks for the link.

I am at work at the moment so my brother said he can't get it for free lol. He is downloading nissan Datascan trial. Is there anything good? If not then I will purchase nissan Datascan 1 software when I get this cable.

Thanks guys

JK

i prefer ecutalk personally jk http://www.ecutalk.com/ecutalk.aspx

OP
OP
J
Small update:
i ordered this cable for one and half weeks ago so i am still waiting for this cable to come.

So far, i done with this dizzy cap so it was so mad to see these white oxides. i managed to brush these white oxides out so i need to sort other problems as well. i am doing bit by bit now.
jytepabu.jpg
ma3ureny.jpg
sugysyga.jpg
u9yzaqa9.jpg
ury3yqyq.jpg

Magpie42

Actual Magpie.
Your sluggish power will be down, to quite a degree, to the backbox wadding going all "vomitty"... change the backbox and feel the difference...

...or your money back!

OP
OP
J
Your sluggish power will be down, to quite a degree, to the backbox wadding going all "vomitty"... change the backbox and feel the difference...

...or your money back!

it wont be working man. i need to sort out with temp sensors, tb service and ign timing. i need this usb cable badly so it will help me to find out on nissan datascan. i am still waiting for this usb cable to come.

OP
OP
J
I haven't done anything much. I cleaned white oxides in dizzy cap. Usb cable came in a week and half ago so I am waiting to get my laptop from local computer shop.