Outside Air Temperature reading high

Hi

I have 2014 ACENTA and have noticed the outside air temperature on the dash computer screen is continually reading somewhere between 34 and 36 degrees C no matter what the outside temperature actually is.

If the temperature sensor does no more than tell you the temperature I can live without it (a bonus when very cold!) but I’m wondering it it has any impact on the climate control or engine running meaning I need to get it fixed?

Could it be something as simple as the sensor has broken or does it indicate a more significant (and expensive) problem.

Thanks for any advice on this.

Hi Bundy,

I had a similar issue except it was reading low (-3 to 3 degrees in the summer), from my experience it does affect the climate control as it compares outside temperature to inside temperature to operate more efficiently. As far as I'm aware it has no impact on the engine running as there are other temperature sensors (coolant, intake air temp, etc.)

With what the problem could be, mine was a ruined battery (original Nissan battery still in the car 9 years after it was sold!) however I don't think that would cause over-reading, and I had other niggles at the same time (parking sensor issues etc.)

Getting to the sensor is a pain as it is between the front bumper and the radiator, mounted to the crash bar, so it is a front bumper off job. I do have a spare sensor if you would be looking to buy a used one, it worked when I tested it, the only problem is getting to it.

Hope this helps :)

Hi Bundy,

I had a similar issue except it was reading low (-3 to 3 degrees in the summer), from my experience it does affect the climate control as it compares outside temperature to inside temperature to operate more efficiently. As far as I'm aware it has no impact on the engine running as there are other temperature sensors (coolant, intake air temp, etc.)

With what the problem could be, mine was a ruined battery (original Nissan battery still in the car 9 years after it was sold!) however I don't think that would cause over-reading, and I had other niggles at the same time (parking sensor issues etc.)

Getting to the sensor is a pain as it is between the front bumper and the radiator, mounted to the crash bar, so it is a front bumper off job. I do have a spare sensor if you would be looking to buy a used one, it worked when I tested it, the only problem is getting to it.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks - that is good to know.

Unfortunately my servicing abilities barely exceed putting air in the tyres so it will not be a DIY job - thank you for the offer though :)

Back