other cars suspension

i want to drop my car on coilovers but the problem with the micra is they cost far to much.... so my question is what other cars suspension is a close match?

i know micra69 tried corsa b coilovers but there isn't much in the way of information on how that went, then theres the polo 6n ones rykllubi (sorry can't remember how to spell your name) used on his k10 and someone else tried golf mk3/4 on a k10 but the rear was to long.

i'm just looking for information at the moment, so any advise is welcome (unless it's negative :p)

nothingtoadd.gif

I have corsa b coil overs fitted. they work fine, parts you will need are: corsa b coil overs, the stock top mounts from a corsa b front struts (or you may be able to get the micra ones to fit the struts).
I got my coil overs from a company called rokkor off ebay, handling is fantastic but dont expect a comfy ride!
then you will need to file the mounting holes slightly for the front strut, nothing major.
and spread out/bend the rear bottom mounts for the rear shocks slightly because the bottoms of the corsa shocks are slightly wider.
you wont be able to use the rear springs from the kit but i just chopped my stock springs down and it just went through an mot without a comment.
they are a little bit of work to fit, but for the price its worth it imo. If you have some basic skills/common sense and tools you will be fine.

I have corsa b coil overs fitted. they work fine, parts you will need are: corsa b coil overs, the stock top mounts from a corsa b front struts (or you may be able to get the micra ones to fit the struts).
I got my coil overs from a company called rokkor off ebay, handling is fantastic but dont expect a comfy ride!
then you will need to file the mounting holes slightly for the front strut, nothing major.
and spread out/bend the rear bottom mounts for the rear shocks slightly because the bottoms of the corsa shocks are slightly wider.
you wont be able to use the rear springs from the kit but i just chopped my stock springs down and it just went through an mot without a comment.
they are a little bit of work to fit, but for the price its worth it imo. If you have some basic skills/common sense and tools you will be fine.

i was well impressed with ed,s setup (Y) (were the c/o rear springs too close to the body then ed ?)

cheers, would do it myself but i know i'd mess up... i have no common sense... i'll also need some of your offset bushes aswell (Y)

Frank is an awesome man, with a heart of gold and his workmanship is second to none it's just a shame me can't do mot's lol

i dont know about late k11's, but the early ones used the same hubs as k10's so to fit polo 6n coilovers you need to do this:

drill
e0138915.jpg

drill - needs to be 14mm iirc
c220e7cc.jpg

machine off so that the plastic bearing spacer thing sits on properly
05a0c1d9.jpg

Just to jump onto this thread, can anyone tell what springs will fit straight onto my k11, from other brands of car and with no modification, cheers guys.

i was well impressed with ed,s setup (Y) (were the c/o rear springs too close to the body then ed ?)
Cheers frank, you should have gone for a spin:) No, they just dont sit in the cups because they are barrel shaped.

No pictures due to computer crash, il try to take some while im under there doing the exhaust:) its not hard, but just takes a while to fit them. shouldnt take frank more than a couple of minutes though :D

all the k11 hubs are the same, he probably means the early 1.0,s used the same c/v as a k10
and i think you have to fit the wishbones too, if you want to fit k11 hubs to a k10

Oh well we shall see as i've got some coilovers from my cordoba spare (same parts as vw polo) so i'll have a go at fitting them :) when i can get back in my garage of course..... stupid snow .... and stupid xmas..... fwn
i'll take lots of piccies i promise :)

well done in all this boys!! too bad im out the k11 game now and even worse i actually bought d2's when i had mine!! haaa. but im thinking of another micra for a runabout and a spare as im usin the mx5 as a drifttrack car so plenty war wounds and time needed off the road for repairs n upgrades but id love another micra and 150 coiles are deffo to my liking. so just a well done to peope for dealing with this issue! :D

noddie with the corsa rear cups (the adjustable part) can they be used with the micra rear springs also do i use the corsa rear struts?

noddie with the corsa rear cups (the adjustable part) can they be used with the micra rear springs also do i use the corsa rear struts?
No, the micra springs are too wide. You can use the corsa shocks or if you could get a complete coilover kit for the corsa (with coil over years as well as fronts) then you could use those, but the rear mounts would need strengthening because of the extra load put on them.

cheers Ed at least i know the springs and cups are surplus to requirement

No worries mate, just get a set, the bits you have to adapt are all straight forward and if you get into problems just gimme a shout. You'll be amazed at the handling improvement:) as long as you are willing to sacrifice any sort of ride comfort:D

Here are all the pictures i have of the corsa coilovers.
Not massively helpful, hopefully karl will put up some better ones when he gets a chance.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• assem.JPG
    assem.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,849
  • Camber adjustment.JPG
    Camber adjustment.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,817
  • spacers.JPG
    spacers.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,582
  • top veiw.JPG
    top veiw.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,482
We used the micra top mounts with a spacer between that and the bearing also we filed a little off the camber adjustment other than that pretty much the same as you Ed oh and the micra top mount needed fileing open a little more as well, with the rear the bottom bush was ground down a bit to get a closer match to the micra before spreading the mount out a fraction also the corsa rears needed a smaller bolt as the bush diameter was smaller

Ed did you use the helper springs?

We used the micra top mounts with a spacer between that and the bearing also we filed a little off the camber adjustment other than that pretty much the same as you Ed oh and the micra top mount needed fileing open a little more as well, with the rear the bottom bush was ground down a bit to get a closer match to the micra before spreading the mount out a fraction also the corsa rears needed a smaller bolt as the bush diameter was smaller

Ed did you use the helper springs?
Yep, that sounds about right, yeah, probably best to use the micra top mounts.

Yes i did use the helper springs(Y)

Iv got the feeling this will be the start of lots of people using these coil overs:)

I will just put it out there that i would be willing to fit these to peoples cars too if anyone doesn't feel up to it. (PM me)

are your helper springs fully coilbound ed ?
yeah. i used both the corsa top mount along with the part that sits under it as well as the black conical part that came with the coilover that would replace the 'part that sits under it' (sorry that i dont know the tech names)
shown in the picture above labelled extra spacer.

ahh, i see mate, we laid the k11 mount ontop of the c/o upper spring perch, but we had a fair bit of shocker shaft thread sticking out the top, and this effectively shortened the whole leg/assy making the car very low :eek:
so we fitted a 30mm long bush under the topmount, so that there was only a bit of thread protruding out of the top nut, and this gave us the right height without preloading the spring too much

ahh, i see mate, we laid the k11 mount ontop of the c/o upper spring perch, but we had a fair bit of shocker shaft thread sticking out the top, and this effectively shortened the whole leg/assy making the car very low :eek:
so we fitted a 30mm long bush under the topmount, so that there was only a bit of thread protruding out of the top nut, and this gave us the right height without preloading the spring too much
so basicly the same but just using different spacers. Did you weld a couple of washers to secure the camber adjustment? not sure that its needed tbh but i did it to mine.
what did you do about the mounting of the rear shocks to the towers? i made custom rubber bushes to space the shock down a bit (effectively making it longer). and how much did you take off the rear springs? whats the ride hight now?

so basicly the same but just using different spacers. Did you weld a couple of washers to secure the camber adjustment? not sure that its needed tbh but i did it to mine.
what did you do about the mounting of the rear shocks to the towers? i made custom rubber bushes to space the shock down a bit (effectively making it longer). and how much did you take off the rear springs? whats the ride hight now?

we filed a dip in the middle of the top slotted hole ed (so camber set/fixed effectively)
we used the top rubbers supplied with the rear shock, and cut 1, 1/2 coils off the k11 rear spring (needs another 1/2 coil imo) and we ground about 2mm off each side of the bottom bush, so that it slid inbetween the bracket (after minor spreading)

we filed a dip in the middle of the top slotted hole ed (so camber set/fixed effectively)
we used the top rubbers supplied with the rear shock, and cut 1, 1/2 coils off the k11 rear spring (needs another 1/2 coil imo) and we ground about 2mm off each side of the bottom bush, so that it slid inbetween the bracket (after minor spreading)
ok, so you didnt go for much camber then? shame.
yeah, i cut 2 coils off mine as far as i can remember. sits about right for me, but is a bit of a pig to get the jack under the car (i have a rather large jack)

karl wanted stock camber ed (i only had to re-track it slightly) and we unpicked the brakehose securing bracket from the k11 leg, and welded it onto the c/o leg btw :grinning:

karl wanted stock camber ed (i only had to re-track it slightly) and we unpicked the brakehose securing bracket from the k11 leg, and welded it onto the c/o leg btw :grinning:
oh yeah, forgot to say that there is no bracket for the brake hose, took me a little while to get the bracket off the stock leg :S

Back