Options for piggyback/ECU

Hey

Since i am getting some cams and lighter flywheel in i think it is time for something better ECU wise.
I'm a bit torn between a few options like piggybacks like e-manage and Apexi Safc, Nistune or a full standalone.

After looking up a whole lot of information i am not to keen on the e-manage/safc systems because of them altering airflow readouts which also apperently!? messes with ignition timing. Also i would like to raise my RPM limiter. These devices don't support that.

Nistune i really fancy but i have a '97 micra which isn't supported as far as i know. Still haven't seen a type 5 board on the website there.
Now i have seen talk that it would supposedly be possible to switch my ECU for a supported facelift one but how much work would that be and is it really possible? Haven't really found a definate answer on that. I also have NATS on my car so i guess with a other ECU either the ECU needs programming or all my locks/keys?

As last i have the option for full standalone, i find the prices a bit steep for my N/A usage. If i where to go for this route i know it is best to ask a local shop for systems they are known and comfortable with. But are there basemaps to be found for most of these systems? don't fancy to pay a lot of money getting the basemap+tuning right in addition to the high cost of a system itself.

So at the moment i really want to try and get nistune on my car and i was hoping some of you guys here could point me in the right direction since my searches all end up with vague answers like it should be possible.

frank

Club Member
mine,s a prefacelift like yours with a nistune board fitted thieme :)
ed (fusion) can reset the limiter for you, and can resync the nats so that it locks into the car that you fit the ecu to

OP
OP
Thieme
But u do use a facelift ECU then? because i thought the fitting of Nistune had to do with there being 2 different kinds of ECU's 1 of which being a half sized model or something. Sadly it is a bit of a drive/trainride for me to get to Ed else i would have went there already haha. So i guess i have to try and find a company who does it here in Holland.

frank

Club Member
no, mine,s the prefacelift ecu from my 97 red car mate (which has now nats sync-ed itself to the 96 white car) and ed pre-mapped it and posted it to me :)
the half sized ecu,s were fitted to the pre-nats k11,s