Opinions on pipes(AIR INTAKE), please

Hi all, It may be over discussed, but the search function reveals scattered info on the intake pipe. I wandered if it was possible for info to be pulled into one post?

Can you give the lowdown on whats good, bad and maybe ugly?
What size bore improves what rev range, High or Low?
Best posistion, or worst?
What material? Some use drainpipe, what do you think?
What about length? Any calculations?

Cheers

Mike:)

I know your thinking, just read threads you find, but how many say, doing mods don't make any difference. Or "it improved hi rev range". Apparently, a particular size is optimum. Surely, not taking into account air filter change, staying with the standard, air is drawn in from behind the passenger headlight. Engine temperature effects the air inside the bay, so get a supply from else where, (also engine heat effect on pipe), under the vehicle seems okay apart from flooding. Would too big a diameter effect the fuel/air ratio, obviously, so how can the optimum pipe be found, without adjusting the fueling. Also, Emissions Test at MOT time is a factor.

Even if performance is minimal, every little helps!

RAM air and Velocity cold air intake, do what?

Mike :)

Update

I know your thinking, just read threads you find, but how many say, doing mods don't make any difference. Or "it improved hi rev range". Apparently, a particular size is optimum. Surely, not taking into account air filter change, staying with the standard, air is drawn in from behind the passenger headlight. Engine temperature effects the air inside the bay, so get a supply from else where, (also engine heat effect on pipe), under the vehicle seems okay apart from flooding. Would too big a diameter effect the fuel/air ratio, obviously, so how can the optimum pipe be found, without adjusting the fueling. Also, Emissions Test at MOT time is a factor.

Even if performance is minimal, every little helps!

RAM air and Velocity cold air intake, do what?

Mike :)

mike

you,ll only get conflicting opinions, (example, sparkplugs :suspect: ) without the use of a dyno to compare different setups its hard to judge
you,re best to try things out yourself and see which you prefer imo

I agree with frank, because personally I think you can't really go wrong with the standard airbox, cold air feed and and K&N panel filter

Back