Operating systems

Back to the original topic... I have just rebuilt a machine and put Windows Vista ULTIMATE! on it. and after 5 days..... ITS CRUD! im going back to XP. mainly because i know how to customise xp and can make it run like a rocket even on a 400mhz machine.. avoid vista unless all you wanna do is play with the new Aero stuff lol..

No one has mentioned window managers... Windows XP uses Explorer.exe as a window manager, if you kill this in task manager then you loose your start button, task bar, desktop icons etc... there is plenty of other window managers but a good one i like is BlackBox. this will make your windows xp much faster as explorer takes ~30megs ram and BB only 3 or 4mb. also its not targeted by viruses, looks the mutts nutts, and you end up with linux look and feel, with windows compatibility. just google bb4win and you will find plenty!

Couriour said:
Back to the original topic... I have just rebuilt a machine and put Windows Vista ULTIMATE! on it. and after 5 days..... ITS CRUD! im going back to XP. mainly because i know how to customise xp and can make it run like a rocket even on a 400mhz machine.. avoid vista unless all you wanna do is play with the new Aero stuff lol..
This is exactly what people said about XP, It was bloated and full of un-necessary crap. Vista is here to stay and the sooner people embrace it (like they did with XP) the sooner people will stop moaning about it! ;)

This is exactly what people said about XP, It was bloated and full of un-necessary crap. Vista is here to stay and the sooner people embrace it (like they did with XP) the sooner people will stop moaning about it! ;)

Sad, but thats true, but as long as XP is still supported then im sticking with it... My main problem with vista is that other companies drivers and software do not run as well as they do on xp (obv xp is old so more development time). I just upgraded my GFX card to a fully vista supported card GF7600GS, but in vista the drivers kept crashing and would freeze on HD video output. on XP its going like a rocket and drivers have been 100% faultless.

So its not 100% vista to blame i suppose, more a point that 3rd party stuff doesnt run as well, yet.

I agree with that. Vista may be all good but i'm waiting till all our equipment supports it before rolling it out across the company! For home use, i'm gonna stick with Xp. I have no need to move onto anything newer.

I completely agree with that Arnold, companies should certainly hold off on Vista until their PCs either come with it (as is a case with a lot of the laptops we're installing for clients now) or the PCs get upgraded. The same goes for home really, it would be like trying to install XP on a P1 166MHz back in 2001!

I stayed with windows 98 until about 2005, my old PC wouldn't run XP very well, nor would it support the modem properly, i don't forsee myself switching to vista for another 3 years or so.

Back