One headlight high beam not working :(

Hi all,

I've got a 2000 facelift 1 1.0l Micra, and when I bought it one of the high beams didn't work. The plug had been cut off and replaced with spade connectors so I assumed this was the fault, so I got a proper H4 plug and fitted it, but the problem still remains.

Dipped beam works, and the stalk and blue high beam light on the dashboard work as expected, it's purely that one of the high beam filaments isn't receiving any juice!

I've heard that either the relay in the engine bay or the stalk on the steering column could be to blame, just wondering if anyone could advise where to start? Are these relays easy to replace etc?

Cheers!

Hi Muel
Sorry to hear you are having problems. I would personally think that if high beam is working fine on one side then your stalk and relay must be working fine also and the fault would be more local to the side that the high beam isn't working. I suspect a faulty bulb, swap them over and see if the fault follows, if so, bingo new bulb needed. If the fault persists you need to put a meter across the high beam feed to see if you are getting any current on the faulty side
Good luck mate

I think a common fault is in the fuse box,, I have had 3 micras that had 1 headlight fuse contact melted/corroded. the fuse was fine, but the the female contact was gone. check your current from the box

Hi Muel
Sorry to hear you are having problems. I would personally think that if high beam is working fine on one side then your stalk and relay must be working fine also and the fault would be more local to the side that the high beam isn't working. I suspect a faulty bulb, swap them over and see if the fault follows, if so, bingo new bulb needed. If the fault persists you need to put a meter across the high beam feed to see if you are getting any current on the faulty side
Good luck mate

I tried swapping the bulb first, both work fine in the drivers side, but the passenger side exposes the problem. :(

I think a common fault is in the fuse box,, I have had 3 micras that had 1 headlight fuse contact melted/corroded. the fuse was fine, but the the female contact was gone. check your current from the box

I've seen fuses for left/right but not high/low. I'll double check. I suppose it's likely that if the plug got melted, the same issue might have blown the fuse. Cheers.

Back