Older but not wiser

G

gregosini

Hello all! I've been looking for a first car for my wife, and having trawled the net for info settled on a K10 Micra, budget being a major consideration. Came across this site and it went a long way towards selling the car to me, although I fear the readership is considerably younger than my 40+ years!

Anyway, spotted a lovely looking J reg 1.0 with only 2 previous lady owners and 55k miles on eBay which Michelle just loved, and set off for Nottingham on the train to pick it up. As soon as we walked into the car park behind the station, I just wanted to walk away from it. It's condition bore no relation to the pics I'd seen on eBay, and my wife's face fell a mile when confronted with what was to be her first car. Rusted through front wings, rusty doors, scratched and pitted paintwork, mossy rubber, just horrible.

Still, rules are rules and I was the idiot who placed the bid so I handed over the cash (straight after that the previous owner said 'Oh and one other little thing, the driver's door doesn't open or lock from the outside'), and off we drove to the Motorway pretty much in silence. I felt a complete shirte for letting her down so badly, and she was close to shedding tears of disappointment.

But here's the thing, we hummed down the M1 at 80-85 mph with not a rattle, vibration, or any hiss from doors and windows. I brimmed the tank at Leicester, and 48 miles later at our local garage did the same, only managing to squeeze £3.65 into the tank! And what a great little car to drive. If only I could find 5th gear!

So, do I pass the bad Karma down the line and stick my little rust bucket back on eBay, or do I try and sort it out? Does anyone know how easy it is to get panels (both front wings and doors would be a start), and if there is a Micra friendly scrapyard around the Bedford/Milton Keynes/ Northampton area.

The sunroof is stuck shut with huge blodges of silicon sealant, the back parcel shelf is nothing more than shredded cardboard, but the rest of the interior is pretty good. Alternatively, does anyone here have any bits for sale at a reasonable price? The colour is a pale metallic blue and I'm presuming as the wings bolt on I could effect a pretty swift transformation.

So take heed one and all, don't rely on a pic on eBay that was probably taken five years ago. Don't worry, God will get them.

Greg

James

Chairman
Ouch, that sounds like quite a nightmare. Unfortunately from time-to-time eBay is plauged by people like this.

As for prices, my local scrapyard in Kent charge £25 for a K10 front wing, but unfortunately there arent many metallic blue K10s in scrapyards (You may have to get handy with a can of spraypaint).

As for the lock problem, my red K10 has the same problem but with the passenger-side door. I know a couple of people from around your area that may know of some decent scrappies, I'll have a word.

Fuel economy on K10s is pretty much second to none for a car of their age. I still have 2 and the manual one outperforms my K11 on fuel economy easily.

Again, shame to hear about eBay, I've bought 2 Micras there and touchwood they've both been fine, but unfortunately there is that risk element :(

Anyway, welcome to the MSC and I hope you enjoy your time here!

James.

(As for the age, it doesn't matter, as long as you have a Micra! ;) - I'm 19 and have 3! :blush: )

Ian

Ex. Club Member
but if the item desciption and pictures dont show the faults of the car you could say that real item differs far to much and refuse to pay.

edit: unforntualtly you will have a hard time finding parts in other colours apart from red. But i know a scrap yard with 10 or so K10's and i may be able to get my hands on a pair of wings in pale blue.

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
Not good. Glad you came to the site though. It depends on how much money you want to spend really. They are great drives and I'm sure it could be repaired easily enough with a bit extra money thrown at it. It seems to be much more expensive down south by the looks of it lol, as up in the NE I have had wings for a tenner from the scrappy or 30 pound brand new. Hope you get it sorted anyway and turn it into a nice little drive. :) Good luck and welcome to the site. :D

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
Also, is the car a 5-door?? As quickdraw (wayne) has a pale blue 5 door k10 that he is selling/breaking whichever is best for you. He wants 100 pound for the car as a whole. The car also has a little rust but I am sure there are alot of bits that you need that you could salvage from it as the majority of it is in good condition.

p.s. This is not a post from Wayne, I am just telling people as I know he has it for sale. :)