Oil pressure issues

C0llis0n

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
Hey guys, after some 2nd opinions on an extremely annoying oil pressure issue my SR developed this afternoon.

Basically after the car had heated up (about 15 minutes driving) the oil light flickered for about 10 seconds and then went solid continuously. I pulled over for 5 minutes to check everything over. I havent sealed the cam cover properly yet since re-fitting so I could see a small leak down the side of the block but im confident it hasnt leaked much (cant see any oil patches after the cars been sat). After starting of again the pressure had come back but the same thing happened about 10 minutes later. After standing for another 5 minutes I managed to keep the engine cool by driving the rest of the distance in 5th gear and under 2k revs and that seemed to make a difference so Im putting it down to the added heat in the oil.

At the moment I am running 5W-30 oil so a bit thinner then recommended so Im guessing that could be the problem but it doesnt explain why its only just started to happen.. I even drove about 300 miles over the weekend with no problems what so ever. + am i right in thinking that oil will become thicker with age?

Ive bought some 10w-40 and I'll change it tomorrow after work to begin with unless anyone has any other ideas as to obvious causes of the problem?

Any help much appreciated. Thanks all. Joe.

RR_dev

Site Supporter
Has the engine been rebuilt? If so was the chain oiler threadlocked in place? If not they pop out and cause low oil pressure

OP
OP
C0llis0n

C0llis0n

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
Yer had issues when I re-fitted the engine but was down to a faulty oil pump. Replaced it with the one you sent me and everything was fine up until now. I would'nt have thought it was the pump again as there is still pressure in the system to begin with. Again with the chain its only noisy wants the pressure has gone..

frank

Club Member
it sounds to me like the original problem was,nt the oilpump or p/r/v joe, you need to measure the pressure really eh

OP
OP
C0llis0n

C0llis0n

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
What else could it be frank? Renewing the pump had solved the problem, but do you think theres another problem that could be causing the oil pump to become faulty. (If any of that makes sense)

Im stuck on the side of the road waiting for the pressure to come back!

frank

Club Member
What else could it be frank? Renewing the pump had solved the problem, but do you think theres another problem that could be causing the oil pump to become faulty. (If any of that makes sense)

Im stuck on the side of the road waiting for the pressure to come back!

dunno mate, sucking air into the pickup pipe ?, wrong length dipstick ? i would overfill it with some thick oil for now, and get some pressure readings

OP
OP
C0llis0n

C0llis0n

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
Is there much choice of cg13 down at your local scrappy frank? I may just pop and fit a new block for now and try and re-solve the pressure issues at a later date.

Ive lost all pressure now. Cant drive 2 minutes without having to stop.

frank

Club Member
they only have that £80 auto one joe, but the milage looks very genuine to me, wave some cash in his face lol :grinning:

OP
OP
C0llis0n

C0llis0n

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
:grinning: Is there any difference in the auto and the manual Frank? Thanks for the heads up. Do you think they'll sell to me at that price or is that mates rates ect.. Could be worth a try.

frank

Club Member
:grinning: Is there any difference in the auto and the manual Frank? Thanks for the heads up. Do you think they'll sell to me at that price or is that mates rates ect.. Could be worth a try.

thats the MSC discount price joe :grinning: and auto blocs are supposed to be stronger eh (closed deck design)

OP
OP
C0llis0n

C0llis0n

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
...:laugh: I knew there were still some active discounts in the club. huuuum so very tempting. What time do they close Frank?

Just picked the car up and checked the oil level, it was quite low so topped up with a 1.5ltr of the 5w-30 but the problem still persisted. Its slightly odd though as the light was on solid red but there was no timing chain clatter. Also I could turn the engine off and then straight back on again and the pressure light would go off for about 30 secs. :suspect: