oil needs topping up often

Hi I own a k12 05 reg and it has done 100,000 miles on the clock. I've owned the car since March and use it on a daily basis doing at least 30 miles a day sometimes more. I've had to fill the engine oil up 3 times since I got the car. Is this normal? There are no leaks or smoke coming from the car. It does however make a funny noise when the oil light comes on. Any advice please?

If you wait for the oil light to come on before topping up you are wrecking your engine! 'Funny noise' equates to serious engine damage due to oil starvation!

My 04 plate K12 at 88000 miles also uses loads of oil - about a litre every 250 miles. I have spoken to other Micra owners and this does not seem unusual. I don't think it's valve stem seals as it appears the harder I drive the more oil is used. I think it must be rings and this winter I am going to pull the lump out and replace them or change the pistons if it needs it .

Well my 1.2 Sport+ (65K miles) has used no oil at all in the 1300 or so miles that I've had it, though just pulled the gearbox out to fit a new clutch (previous owner obviously rode the clutch all of the time wrecking the release, which collapsed last week!) and while the box was out found that the rear oil seal behind the flywheel had started to leak and would no doubt have shown itself before too long as oil consumption :0( so replaced the seal before putting the box back in.
Out of interest what oil are you using? Mine is on , and will be from now on, 5W 30 fully synthetic.

I also buy 5w30 fully synthetic. I usually watch out for discounts on eurocarparts and try to get good quality ones such as Shell.

I also buy 5w30 fully synthetic. I usually watch out for discounts on eurocarparts and try to get good quality ones such as Shell.
As we usually buy second hand cars, most of the time we have no idea how the car was used/abused by previous owners. I am fortunate to have bought a, one female owner, car with a comprehensive service history, with documented regular oil/filter changes.
Sadly prior knowledge of previous owners driving style/techniques was not known, hence having to replace the full clutch set this week :( (collapse of pressure plate support springs). Had the car a couple of months now and have fully serviced it and replaced both rear wheel bearings and front disks and pads (both known problems at point of purchase and buying price adjusted accordingly :D) but wasn't expecting the clutch problem.:eek: Still the car feels like and drives like a new car now.:cool:

Hi I own a k12 05 reg and it has done 100,000 miles on the clock. I've owned the car since March and use it on a daily basis doing at least 30 miles a day sometimes more. I've had to fill the engine oil up 3 times since I got the car. Is this normal? There are no leaks or smoke coming from the car. It does however make a funny noise when the oil light comes on. Any advice please?
Hello! If there is no oil leakage its mean that the oil is burning. Only two parts in the engine can let oil goes in the cylinder. 1st parts is the engine valve seal and the 2nd is the piston ring.

Back