oil light..

R

RIK

i have just started to notice that my oil light stays on for a couple of seconds after all the other lights wen starting the car,,what causes this?.

ive bin told it could be loosing compression and to keep an eye on it

its not coming on whilst driving, it stays on until the revs settle to idle after ignition

is it a problem or is it nothin?

should be nothing, will most likely the cars own unique little trait, we all have odds and end that happen but do not nessecerly mean problems.

dont take this as gospel mind id wait and see what some others say before totally ignoring it

yeah im keepin eye on things at the moment,,things seem to be ok,

what is it that makes it come on tho is it the oil level or the oil pressure ,,,or both,

had the oil changed a week ago n it still does it so it may jus be one of those things

RE: RE: oil light..

Davey C said:
should be nothing, will most likely the cars own unique little trait, we all have odds and end that happen but do not nessecerly mean problems.

My car had this trait, a lil while later the engine blew up. :suspect: Make sure your oil is ok. :)

its the oil pressure switch normally on the side of the block which measures the amount of pressure if you oil level is low it may bring the light up or other things like oil pressure switch failing or oil pump starting to breakdown or major engine problems, if you still worrying why dont you try going to the scrappers and find one and swap it

swap the pressure switch? or pump?

i have a full engine spare to play around with so thats no problem.....:)

ok can i firstly say one thing...

mAKE SURE THE CONNECTION to the switch is good. this can be faulty causing it to be dicky.

but a change of switch costs noting so you may wellbe worth it ;)
just make sure you keep checking the oil or say goodbye to your engine

RE: RE: RE: oil light..

micra man said:
Davey C said:

My car had this trait, a lil while later the engine blew up. :suspect: Make sure your oil is ok. :)

That might be due to the fact that it was low on oil - as you hadnt checked it :laugh:;)

The later spec micra's oil light stays on for a few seconds after turn on. This is a common trait for the later spec ones as i have had about 10 of them now (courtesy cars) and they all do the same thing.

Mike

its a 94 L reg,,,one of the first ones

can anyone tell me were the switch is and what it looks like please

i heard it's just because the oil hasn't had time to go round the engine hence coming on for a short period (around 2 seconds). mine does it and has done for 3 years - and yes i change the oil every 4.5k

Back