Oil in spark plug holes... help

Hi All,
Sorry to join you with a problem from the off..

Just bought an L reg 1.0l 16v, loads of old mot's and quite clean from the auction, runs like a dream and started first time but when i got home 3 of the spark plug holes are full of oil.

Wiped it all off and ran the engine but can't see where it's coming in from.

I'm quite mechanically minded but this is a new one on me.

Any help will be seriously well appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

when you say full do you mean full, as in a quarter of a litre in each combustion chamber or just the plugs are all oily ?

Sorry, should have been more precise now i've re-read it.

When we got back the rocker cover was covered in oil and air bubbles coming out from under no.1 sparkplug cap, when we took cap off the hole was 3/4 full of oil, as was no.2 and no.3, no.4 was ok.

The engine runs sweet and i checked the breather pipe (behind no.1 cylnder and in front of carb) and it's clear and easy to blow through.

Cheers.

worn valve stem oil seals and/or valve guides or worn, broken or sticking piston rings, or dependant on milage it could need a rebore.

reading your last post it would appear that the cam cover is loose or the gasket has indeed gone, there's no oil getting into the cylinders is there ?

Almost definately not, that much oil getting passed the spark plug would completely choke it to death, not burning any oil either so i would say no.

Rocker cover has been off before though,instant gasket clearly visible.

Are there suppposed to be seals between rocker cover and the spark plug shaft? there's gap between them, i can see seals of some sort but can't tell if they're damaged or not or if they're seated properly.

Its the cam cover, there are four sealing rings under it, they have obviously failed allowing crankcase oil etc to fill up the plug tubes. Quite unusual does it look as though the cam cover has been moved? In any case new o rings will solve it.

Ed

Cheers all, i'll take it all off later and have a good look. Hopefully the parts won't be too expensive.. Watch this space.

Thanks again. :grinning:

Its the cam cover, there are four sealing rings under it, they have obviously failed allowing crankcase oil etc to fill up the plug tubes. Quite unusual does it look as though the cam cover has been moved? In any case new o rings will solve it.

Ed

Cheers Ed, after closer inspection today and removing the cam cover i can see (and feel) the o-rings are hard and perished, new set of four and cam cover gasket being collected from Nissan tomorrow for only £25. If that fixes it totally then i'll be well chuffed. :)

you might want to get some gasket sealer to hold them in place when replacing...they are from the factory (apparently -- having never replaced any) :)

Cheers people, JOB DONE !!!!

Got all the parts, fitted them, gave it a good thrashing and it's not lost a drop of oil.

The car now owes me a total of £267.00 well pleased.

Thanks again.... :alien:

Back