Oil in exhaust port?

Anyone had this before?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346683502.209227.jpg

If anyone knows the problem could you let me know the fixes available?

Thanks guys!

Pepper

That's what I'd have said too. Is the exhaust fairly smoky?

Worn seals tend to draw oil into the inlet port (exhaust port is under +ve pressure eh)
Looks like a ring issue to me

I've got the head from my old engine I could fit but if it's rings I'll be totally gutted! :( its an auto block with 42k miles on it so I hoped it would be "ok" but I could fit the head from my 105k manual engine!

Is it possible to do the seals in place without removing the head? I don't mind taking out cams etc but it'll be alot of work doing the head cause the inlet manifold is diff and I'll need to refit that too :(

Pepper

Paul (polly) did his in situ, but its a mission keeping the valves shut tho (he fed string down the plugholes iirc !)
And the rings are usually not actually worn, but gummed/trapped in their grooves (lack of oilchanges i guess)

The spark plugs were black when I removed so your prob right! :( I'll drive it and see what happens!

If this is broken I got no idea I'll even progress with the car, just so deflating! :(

Pepper

Got the car home after a 5 mile drive and there was very little to no smoke!

Does Engine flush thin oil when it's used to clean out the engine? I used new oil and Wynn's... Maybe it could have been thinned and passed through a seal?

Can't really check now but I'll keep an eye on oil level and check the spark plugs tomoz!

Thanks guys!

Pepper

Possible. I'd never use oil flush, if you change your oil regularly, a flush isn't necessary :).

I did not drive with it in, just 20 mins at fast idle. I used the flush because the engine I was fitting was sat in a wood store upside down for 1 year and wanted to clean it out before I drove it anywhere!

I'll keep an eye on it but if need be I will have the engine out again lol

Thanks for your input guys!

Pepper

Worn seals tend to draw oil into the inlet port (exhaust port is under +ve pressure eh)
Looks like a ring issue to me

at page 1 middle of post #24 of my blog, my first original engine with the new head i got off goldstar actually had a crack/chipped section in the head under the exhaust valve stem seal.
it would cold start normal n clear but once warmed, the thin oil pooling above would seep past the crack and I think the moment the exhaust valve closes and the fast inertia of the gases could've caused the oil to be sucked through n burnt constantly at idle and especially during high revs?

Back