Oil extractors has anyone used one on a K11, any good?

I have to do a oil gearbox change on my K11 CVT, last year lightly tried to get the very tight sump plug off to no avail, but haven't tried upping the torque options yet on that, but looking at a option of a oil pump extractor to avoid the sump plug issue!

pumping from the top with a plastic tube/siphon type thing?

I have seen some of those available for fuel, not sure how well it would work for heavy oils. If you could find one capable, and you could get the tube right the way to the bottom of the sump I'd imagine you could get just as much out as you could by draining from the sump.

A tip (from someone who has never done it) might be to use a larger diameter tube at first, and then switch to using a smaller diameter tube to get the last bits, otherwise you'll get that slurping sound like when you're trying to get that last bit of coke out of your mcdonalds cup past all those pesky icecubes lol

OP
OP
nesty
pumping from the top with a plastic tube/siphon type thing?

I have seen some of those available for fuel, not sure how well it would work for heavy oils. If you could find one capable, and you could get the tube right the way to the bottom of the sump I'd imagine you could get just as much out as you could by draining from the sump.

A tip (from someone who has never done it) might be to use a larger diameter tube at first, and then switch to using a smaller diameter tube to get the last bits, otherwise you'll get that slurping sound like when you're trying to get that last bit of coke out of your mcdonalds cup past all those pesky icecubes lol

Many thanks, I don't want to place too much stress on the sump plug bolt, just a bit apprehensive of shearing the thread on the sump. so if the pump technique works then great. The Sealey ones have some decent reviews & comes with 2 attachments (narrow and bit wider), just might work.

Pull a driveshaft any remaining you might be able to get out with a pump, or you could tilt the car to the right (lilting to the left would put it into the gearbox end away from the driveshaft) and pull the RHS driveshaft.

Many thanks, I don't want to place too much stress on the sump plug bolt, just a bit apprehensive of shearing the thread on the sump. so if the pump technique works then great. The Sealey ones have some decent reviews & comes with 2 attachments (narrow and bit wider), just might work.
I'd definitely give it a go, if it works there's plenty of other things you could use it for

Just got to be well sealed and pull a good vacuum with no leaks and there's no reason it shouldn't be able to do the job eventually

OP
OP
nesty
Just to give an update I managed to loosen off the sump plug with a bit of gentle torque with a breaker bar!

Gonna do the CVT Oil change this weekend coming (if weather good).
Is it a question of just warming it up and then undoing the sump plug & re filling. Does the hose which goes to the rad (cooler) have to come off as well?

I've always found it works quite nicely to use a t-handle and bit and hammer on it reasonably aggressively while turning and it comes loose... I don't like risking slipping with the torque of a breaker bar and stripping out of the plug... Glad you got it off