Oil coolers

Only photo I can find where you can see it
It lives behind the radiator at the moment (undergoing big changes)
1409214812873.jpg

Got no data to prove anything at the minute until I get out for testing later this year
They're only any good on competition cars really
Daily you'll be fine

Has anyone ever fitted one.
Would it benefit me.

Well it depends what kind of oil temperatures you're seeing and what kind of oil you're using. I seem to remember something about 110 to 125 degrees celsius as the general rule off thumb, but synthetics can go even higher, so yeah, I'll answer your question with a question, what kind of temperatures are you running?

TLDR: You generally don't need it on a road car.

Hey guys thanks for the replies.

temperature seems to be fine lately but in the past I've seem it get as high as 130-140.

I've always thought "me screw it"
But it seems like a cheap enough fix if it works.
Plus it can look bad ass if you want it to. :)

when fitting one, perhaps had a thermostat or valved type so u don't overcool the engine during cold start warm up else it'll take awhile for the cold oil to warm up

Mocal state that 80 degrees is your minimum ideal operating temp. Keeping oil as cool as possible makes it last longer abd maintains highest possible film strength

Mocal state that 80 degrees is your minimum ideal operating temp. Keeping oil as cool as possible makes it last longer abd maintains highest possible film strength

Thanks Enuo that's really interesting.
I'll fit one soon just to see how it works out..

More so, as oil gets very hot getting fed through the turbo. 5W50 is what Ed recommends for turbo cars, so that should give you an idea about how hot the oil gets!

More so, as oil gets very hot getting fed through the turbo. 5W50 is what Ed recommends for turbo cars, so that should give you an idea about how hot the oil gets!

Ok...i did use the 5w40 oil but the car started to burn oil whenever i floored it is i decided to change the oil to 15w40 allthou the turbo has been rebuilt! Dont know if the turbo needs to run in etc?

Is there an oil cooler kit for the micra?

J

I've found a lot of universal kits around dublin although they require a different filter as the diameter of the seal isn't the same. The one I have at the moment requires a filter from a d series engine. No leaks and a tight fit.

I've found a lot of universal kits around dublin although they require a different filter as the diameter of the seal isn't the same. The one I have at the moment requires a filter from a d series engine. No leaks

Cheers, ill have a look to see whats available etc, what sort of prices are they?

J

Ok...i did use the 5w40 oil but the car started to burn oil whenever i floored it is i decided to change the oil to 15w40 allthou the turbo has been rebuilt! Dont know if the turbo needs to run in etc?

Is there an oil cooler kit for the micra?

J
Dunno, pulsar ones may fit but there isn't alot of sealing face on the CG compared to the SR, but the threads are the same.

I already had the sandwhich which was about £15 pound
The houses and actual called cost around £70 the AN hoses are expensive.
Ebay has a few kits just be wary of size variances

Ok, so the sandwich plate, which should i get. I.e. From what nissan would most likely be the best bet to fit a sandwich plate on and also would i need to use the oil filter from what ever nissan the sandwich plate was made for or can i retain the original k11 oil filter?

Cheers

J

As Enuo said I'd imagine a pulsar would be a close fit I'm not quite sure.

I'll pop over to the place I picked up mine. (it was 2 years ago) so cross your fingers that they know what I'm talking about haha.

If your close to a scrappers pop over and have a game of mixy matchy see what fits. (if you can obviously)

As Enuo said I'd imagine a pulsar would be a close fit I'm not quite sure.

I'll pop over to the place I picked up mine. (it was 2 years ago) so cross your fingers that they know what I'm talking about haha.

If your close to a scrappers pop over and have a game of mixy matchy see what fits. (if you can obviously)

Thanks for that!!! So what plate do you have currently on your car. What model?

Cheers

J

What do you mean when you say by plate...
Sandwhich plate?

If you mean sandwich plate im not sure all I know atm is that it's a nissan oem part.
I'll try figure it out for you tho man.

Any 3/4 - 16unf sandwich plate or take off plate will fit.
Mines from a ford xflow engine for example

An oil cooler will not fix an oil burning issue though

CG has a very small filter footprint... My GA Drift magnetic oil filter won't fit a CG as the body is too wide. The sandwich plate needs to have a small footprint... So thermostatic ones might not fit. Might need an inline oil cooler thermostat.

Any 3/4 - 16unf sandwich plate or take off plate will fit.
Mines from a ford xflow engine for example

An oil cooler will not fix an oil burning issue though

Thanks for that h701micra, also witb this sandwich plate can i use the standard micra filter? Also what thread size would i need to bolt this to the block?

Cheers all!

J

Thanks for that h701micra, also witb this sandwich plate can i use the standard micra filter? Also what thread size would i need to bolt this to the block?

Cheers all!

J
It will come with a spigot/extension hence the specified thread size :)
The filter goes over the top of it as normal

Like so;

1409504413720.jpg

Just remember getting info about low oil temperatures from a oil cooler producer...

I'd get my information from my oil producer :)

It all depends on your cars use that determines what oil you use too. That will change its operationg temperature.
Generally a race car will need a higher optimum temperature than a daily road car.
So you need to select the right oil for the right type of use, then check you temperature rating, then decide if a cooler is necessary

Or, measure operating oil viscoscity w/o oil cooler under normal use (gives close to manufacturer specced viscoscity for the engine), then oil temp with oil cooler fitted under hard use, and spec oil for that viscoscity at that operating temp. If you're making more torque, slightly thicker oil will give slightly higher film strength to protect bearings, but you will get viscous drag that will lose you power and put extra strain on the oil pump.

Back