Oil change, how often

I change oil every year, but this year I haven't driven much, just a few thousand miles around town. Is it still necessary to change my oil?

Thanks

Would recommend you change it after the set mileage since last change or service.
I drove very little this year since last but still decided it would be best for it to get some fresh oil in.
You can change after so many thousand miles (check your manual), at intervals or once a year at the very least.
Depending on how you use the vehicle. From what you describe once a year should be fine.

Sent from my ASUS_T00P using Micra Sports Club mobile app

OP
OP
T
I don't know what the recommended interval is. I have driven it every day but only a little. Seems a waste to change oil when the engine hasn't been used much.
thanks

Neither did I know what it was for recommended since I don't have a huge detail of history or info needed

Haynes manual says every 6 months 4500 miles or what ever comes first followed by
Nissan Recommend oil and filter to be changed 9000 or every 12 months for early models
1200 or 12 months late models. with the increased sump capacity
However Oil and filter changes are good for the engine especially if the car is used mainly for short journeys.

I will update this with how far in miles is on the service I recently had in September.

What I would suggest is if you are unsure you should book it in for an filter and oil change. At some point and have the piece of mind that you know when the next one will be due.
Rather than guessing.
Good time would be at or before you present the car for its MOT.
(That's exactly what I did as I have a late model engine installed) So 12 months is my interval for change of oil and filter.
Yours may be early or late model that should give you better indication for your oil changes rather than some one tell you to change it 6 month early or 6 month late.
Edit:- My next change will be within 10000 mile or next 12 months. So must be slightly higher if better oil is put in. And I'm guessing its improved a lot.

Last edited:
You cant go far wrong with 12 month or 12,000 miles, whichever first.
There will be small improvements to the life of the engine if you change more often, depends how flush you feel or how much you love the car, as the cost will probably not justify the noticable life.

OP
OP
T
Well I've only done 2000 miles this year, pottering around town.
Do you still think its worth doing this after 12mo.
Don't want to waste money but also want to keep the engine in good condition - its a great car.

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
Well I've only done 2000 miles this year, pottering around town.
Do you still think its worth doing this after 12mo.
Don't want to waste money but also want to keep the engine in good condition - its a great car.
What type of oil is in the car? If a good quality 'Fully Synthetic' then I'd be tempted to leave it longer, if some other cheap mineral oil, then I'd change it and the filter and replace it with Fully Synthetic and a new filter, what's it going to cost you, about £30?......
edit:- probably just 'pottering around town', is the worst scenario for oil contamination. The engine/oil, never really warms up properly and contaminants are not boiled off so if in doubt just change it anyway....

Last edited:
Do remember oil does also tend to degrade and start to lose it's lubricating properties over time.
My 2010 k12 does less than 2000 miles a year as i have other cars, however i still give it a oil and filter service every 12 months to keep it mint.

I rarely change mine and have had minimal problems, modern synthetic oils are much better than the old ones and oil service intervals don't need to be followed as closely.