oil / battery / handbrake lights staying on

I have just bought a K10 1.2 auto and the oil, battery and parking brake lights remain on after switching the engine off and removing the key.
I have searched the forums on here and tried removing the ignition relay but the lights remained on. I looked under the bonnet and noticed a black wire coming from the alternator was not connected to anything. Should this wire be grounded / earthed.
Would appreciate any suggestions.

i suspect a dodgy ignition switch, sounds like the instrument cluster is still getting +12v after its turned off,

either that or someones been tinkering with the wiring and made a hash of it

Well refill the oil in your engine, change the battery and dont use your handbrake while driving!! ;)

well thats not going to stop the lights is it, and flattening his battery,
fill the engine to the top with oil and it wont stop the light coming on while the engines not running owing to it being a PRESSURE switch and not a LEVEL switch
same with battery light, it shows the battery is not being charged and not that its not charged.

follow the usefull post in this thread (mine) and check the ignition switch

Thanks for the reply superls. Its the most likely cause of the problem. The fuel and temp gauges also still work when the key is taken out so there must be a 12v supply feeding it somewhere. The radio switches off OK but its just the warning lights and gauges that still work.

The last owner told me it just happened after the car was left standing for a few weeks during the cold weather and thinks the damp may have affected the electrics. The car still starts even after 2 days with the warning lights on. As its such an old car, I may just live with it and disconnect the battery if its not going to be used for more than 2-3 days.

I've fixed the ignition switch problem last week by turning the key rapidly between positions 0 and II. It seemed to free the mechanism within the ignition switch and everything now switches off when you remove the key. It was probably down to just lack of use.

Unfortunately I will have to sell the car as my insurance renewal is much higher than expected - just over £600 despite my annual mileage being under 5k and me being nearly 40 years old with a full 15+ years no claims. I intended to keep the car as a runabout to replace my 106 diesel and I had transferred my old insurance policy onto my K10. If anyone here is interested in my K10 1.2 auto with 69k miles, reply to this thread.

well thats not going to stop the lights is it, and flattening his battery,
fill the engine to the top with oil and it wont stop the light coming on while the engines not running owing to it being a PRESSURE switch and not a LEVEL switch
same with battery light, it shows the battery is not being charged and not that its not charged.

follow the usefull post in this thread (mine) and check the ignition switch

Dude it was ment as a joke :D

Back