Oil advice and recommendations here

My 1997 Micra 1.3 CVT, with 49.000km in 14 years, has always been filled with 10w40 semisynthetic oils, but the last time the car dealer (where so far the oil was changed) put a 5w40 (do not know if synthetic or semi synth).... anyway never had problems

do not know the brand of oils used by the dealer so far, my dad simply gave the car to the dealer... BUT know i'm the owner and i want to know what is put inside!!!!

The user manual says that the minimum requirements are API SJ or ACEA A3

The use of the car is mainly city, but i always have an "heavy" foot and i do not care of fuel consumption

Temperature range in my city is between -5°C and +40°C

first question: i have to continue with semisynthetic or can i try with a full synthetic? what's the advantege of the second one?

second question: looking on some producer site, using their internal search engine "by car model", i find out very strange results

for example:
-Shell suggests as top choice the Helix HX7C 5w40 (API SL - ACEA A3 -semi synth) and as standard choice the HX7 10w40 (API SM - ACEA A3 -semisynth) ... but why they do not mention their helix ultra 5w40 full synth????

-Castrol top choice is Magnatec 5w40C3 (API SM - ACEA A3; fullsynth??), standard is Magnatec 10w40 (API SM - ACEA A3 - semisynt??)

-Motul top choice is 8100 Eco-Nergy 5w30 (API SL - ACEA A5 full synth), standard is 8100 X-Clean 5w30 (API SM - ACEA?? - full synth)

but isn't 30 a low value for my zone? some of this suggestions are only for reducing fuel consumption in detritment of performance? and why sometimes oils with API SL are listed as "top choice" when the "standard choice" is SM? why they do not mention their best oil for this car, it's because it is a citycar??

some oil specs (in red the ones that look better)
MOTUL 8100 Eco-nergy 5W30
100% Sintetico
ACEA A5 / B5
API SL / CF
Grado di viscosità SAE J 300 5W30
Densità a 20°C (68°F) ASTM D1298 0.848
Viscosità a 40°C (104°F) ASTM D445 57 mm²/s
Viscosità a 100°C (212°F) ASTM D445 10 mm²/s
Viscosità HTHS a 150°C (302°F) ASTM D4741 3.41 mPa.s
Indice di viscosità ASTM D2270 163
Pour point ASTM D97 -36°C / -33°F
Flash point ASTM D92 226°C / 439°F

MOTUL 8100 X-cess 5W-40
100% Synthetic
Viscosity grade SAE J 300 5W-40
Density at 20°C (68°F) ASTM D1298 0.850
Viscosity at 40°C (104°F) ASTM D445 86.2 mm²/s
Viscosity at 100°C (212°F) ASTM D445 14.2 mm²/s
HTHS viscosity at 150°C (302°F) ASTM D4741 3.73 mPa.s
Viscosity index ASTM D2270 170
Pour point ASTM D97 -36°C / -32.8°F
Flash point ASTM D92 230°C / 446°F

MOTUL 300V Chrono 10-w40
Density @ 15°C (59°F) ASTM D1298 0,88
Viscosity at 40°C (104°F) ASTM D445 89.5 mm²/s
Viscosity at 100°C (212°F) ASTM D445 14 mm²/s
HTHS viscosity at 150°C ASTM D4741 4.19 mPa.s
Viscosity index ASTM D2270 161
Pour point ASTM D97 -36°C
Flash point ASTM D92 226°C

MOBIL Super 3000 X1 5W-40
API SM/SL/SJ
ACEA A3/B3, A3/b4
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40º C 84
cSt @ 100º C 14
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.1
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 222
Density @15º C kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.855
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -39

SHELL Helix HX7 C 5W-40
API SL/CF
ACEA A3 / B3 / B4
Kinematic viscosity (IP 71)
@ 40°C cSt 82.5
@ 100°C cSt 14.4
Density @ 15°C (IP 365) kg/l 0.86
Flash Point (IP 34) °C 220
Pour Point (IP 15) °C -42
HTHS Viscosity @ 150°C PaS 3.6

SHELL Helix HX7 10W-40
API SM/CF
ACEA A3 / B4
Kinematic viscosity (IP 71)
@ 40°C cSt 92.1
@ 100°C cSt 14.4
Density @ 15°C (IP 365) kg/l 0.88
Flash Point (IP 34) °C 220
Pour Point (IP 15) °C -39

SHELL Helix ULTRA 5W-40

Full synth
API SM/CF
ACEA A3/B3/B4
Kinematic Viscosity (IP71)
@ 40oC cSt 74.4
@ 100oC cSt 13.1
Density @ 15°C(IP 365) kg/l 0.84
Flash Point (IP 34) °C 215
Pour Point (IP 15) °C -39
HTHS Viscosity @ 150°C m PaS 3.68

CASTROL Magnatec 5W-40 C3

Full synth
ACEA A3/B4, A3/B3, C3,
API SM/CF
Density @ 15°C, Relative ASTM D4052 g/ml 0.85
Viscosity, Kinematic 100°C ASTM D445 mm²/s 13.4
Viscosity, Kinematic 40°C ASTM D445 mm²/s 81
Viscosity Index ASTM D2270 169
Pour Point ASTM D97 °C -45
Flash Point, PMCC ASTM D93 °C 207

thanks in advance for your attention!

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
Using a 30 for economy won't reduce performance. If anything i will improve it, the economy comes from reducing engine drag which can only be good for performance :).

OP
OP
oilman

oilman

Online Trader
Official MSC Trader
What Guy has said is correct, the only thing is that is the car is driven hard for a long period of time and the oil gets hot and thin, there may be a little extra wear, but very little.

Cheers

Tim

anyway remaining on a 40 like "hot" value, do you suggest some synthetic 5w-40 like Castrol Magnatech C3 or MOTUL 8100 X-cess or Shell Helix Ultra instead of 10w40?

and just a curiosity about 10w40 type: the motul 300V chrono is better then the other 10w-40 posted above, right??

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
5W won't hurt, especially in winter where it will circulate around the head and valve train more quickly that 10W :).

ok,this is clear... my question was: which one of these three 5w40 mentioned above is better? i reported some datasheet in the first post...

obviously if u know some other produtc, u can add to the list; for example i looked at motul 8100 5w40 xclean or castrol edge 5w40:laugh:

OP
OP
oilman

oilman

Online Trader
Official MSC Trader
The oils you mentioned at the start are all pretty similar in quality terms and are fine for your car. Perhaps the Shell might be slightly better than the rest, but there isn't a lot in it.

If you want the best, the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition are the ones to consider.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Cheers

Tim

OP
OP
oilman

oilman

Online Trader
Official MSC Trader
Feel free to contact us here for any oil recommendations or any oil related questions you may have.

Alternatively complete our oil recommendation form and we will get back to you asap. You can also give us a call on 01209 202949 Monday - Friday 8.30am - 5.30pm or just drop us an email to [email protected]

Cheers

oilman

OP
OP
oilman

oilman

Online Trader
Official MSC Trader
Hi

I would use a good 5w-40 synthetic.

Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS/CFS NT, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition. Those are fine for 10+ solid hours of race use, you're better off using a good oil like that and changing it less often than a cheap one and changing it frequently.

Cheers

Tim

skymera

Brutal Honesty
Make - Honda

Model - Civic MB6 VTi 1.8

Year - 1996

Mods - Factory

Use (road/track etc) - Road

Any suggestions? I've got 5L of Mobil Super 2000 10W-40 semisynthetic but not sure it's any use!

OP
OP
oilman

oilman

Online Trader
Official MSC Trader
Hi

A 5w-40 synthetic is a better option for that engine, but if you've already got that oil, it's fine to use.

Cheers

Tim

OP
OP
oilman

oilman

Online Trader
Official MSC Trader
Feel free to contact us here for any oil recommendations or any oil related questions you may have.

Alternatively complete our oil recommendation form and we will get back to you asap. You can also give us a call on 01209 202949 Monday - Friday 8.30am - 5.30pm or just drop us an email to [email protected]

Cheers

oilman

OP
OP
oilman

oilman

Online Trader
Official MSC Trader
Hi

I would use a 5w-40 synthetic.

Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS/CFS NT, Motul 300V, Red Line and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Millers XF Longlife, Fuchs GT1 XTL/Supersyn, Gulf Formula G, Shell Helix and Mobil Super 3000 are good, cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

Tim

OP
OP
oilman

oilman

Online Trader
Official MSC Trader
If you are struggling to find the right engine oil for your car, don't forget about our free oil advice.

All we need to know is

Make:
Model:
Year:
Engine type:
Performance modifications:
Driving style: (road / off-road / track etc)
Any other information that may be relevant: e.g. approx BHP if modified, oil temps if known

If you need help you can call us Monday - Friday 8:30am to 5:30pm on 01209 202944, email us at [email protected], or use our Recommendation form, or just ask here.

OP
OP
oilman

oilman

Online Trader
Official MSC Trader
If you’re in need of oil advice and recommendations then please just ask, we are happy to help. You can ask us here or by PM, drop us an email to [email protected] or just give us a call this afternoon, we are here till 5.30pm.

It's a great time to buy from Opie Oils, until midnight Sunday we are giving an additional 15% Off our already discounted prices on all engine oils with voucher code 15OFF.

Cheers
- oilman

Hi, I've just joined the forum as I need to service our K11. It's been 10+ years since I've rolled round under a car and before I start I want to check the oil I need to buy please.

Make - Nissan

Model - Micra 1.4

Year - 2001 Y

Mods - Factory

Current Mileage is a genuine 51,000

Any suggestions.......?

Thanks very much
Graham

OP
OP
oilman

oilman

Online Trader
Official MSC Trader
Hi, I've just joined the forum as I need to service our K11. It's been 10+ years since I've rolled round under a car and before I start I want to check the oil I need to buy please.

Make - Nissan

Model - Micra 1.4

Year - 2001 Y

Mods - Factory

Current Mileage is a genuine 51,000

Any suggestions.......?

Thanks very much
Graham

Hi Graham,

A good 5w-30 would be ideal, have a look at this one from Fuchs http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-981-fuc...w-80-synthetic-manual-transmission-fluid.aspx

Cheers

Tim

OP
OP
oilman

oilman

Online Trader
Official MSC Trader
Hi Folks,

If you are having trouble finding out which Engine Oil is right for your car, please use our lookup guide.

If you need help finding your car, or it is modified in any way, you can call us Monday - Friday 8:30am to 5:30pm on 01209 202944, email us at [email protected], or just ask here.

Cheers
Oilman

OP
OP
oilman

oilman

Online Trader
Official MSC Trader
Struggling to find the correct oils for your car? Then just ask the Oilman.

To help us to give the most accurate advice possible we do need some information about your car. e.g.:

Make:
Model:
Year:
Engine type:
Any other information that may be relevant: e.g. approx BHP if modified, oil temps if known
What recommendation are you looking for? Engine, Gearbox, Diff etc.

You can contact us here, alternatively give us a call on 01209 202944 Monday - Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm or send us an email to [email protected]

Cheers

Oilman

Nissan micra k11
1.0L S
Engine oil
2000 x reg
standard
Road use

hi ive been given some Fuchs titan formula 15w-40 will this be okay for my little k11

Struggling to find the correct oils for your car? Then just ask the Oilman.

To help us to give the most accurate advice possible we do need some information about your car. e.g.:

Make:
Model:
Year:
Engine type:
What recommendation are you looking for? Engine, Gearbox, Diff etc.

You can contact us here, alternatively give us a call on 01209 202944 Monday - Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm or send us an email to [email protected]

Cheers

Oilman

Nissan micra k11
1.0L S
Engine oil
2000 x reg
standard
Road use
hi ive been given some Fuchs titan formula 15w-40 will this be okay for my little k11

OP
OP
oilman

oilman

Online Trader
Official MSC Trader
Hi

I wouldn't recommend it, it offers very little cold start protection, a 5w-30, 5w-40 or 10w-40 would be a better option.

Cheers

Tim

Make - Nissan

Milage - 37500 fully stamped service history.

Model - Micra 1.0ltr

Year - 2002

Mods - k&n panel filter.

Use (road/track etc) - road only and not very oftern, say 4000 mlies a year. Spends a lot of time sat doing nothing as I ride a motorbike most of the time.

OP
OP
oilman

oilman

Online Trader
Official MSC Trader
Hi

I would use a 5w-30 oil

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-653-5w-30.aspx

The best ones there are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Motul 300V, Mobil ESP, Castrol Edge, Shell Helix Ultra ECT, Millers XF, Fuchs GT1 and Red Line, but the Motul Eco-Energy, Mobil Super 3000, Shell Helix HX7 AF/AG and Fuchs XTR are good cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

Tim

Hi

I would use a 5w-30 oil

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-653-5w-30.aspx

The best ones there are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Motul 300V, Mobil ESP, Castrol Edge, Shell Helix Ultra ECT, Millers XF, Fuchs GT1 and Red Line, but the Motul Eco-Energy, Mobil Super 3000, Shell Helix HX7 AF/AG and Fuchs XTR are good cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

Tim
Many thanks Tim, as ever opie oils to the rescue. I have used you for a few years on and off, mainly for my motorbikes but I do so love your service and I need a new sticker for my micra..
Rct

Guy,

Make - Nissan

Model -Micra K11 CG13 (pre coil pack)

Year -2000

Mods - Engine fitted in a classic Mini driving 10" wheels. 4,2,1 exhaust manifold and Maniflow back box. homemade inlet plenum. Lightened flywheel (not too light!)

Use (road/track etc) - Fast (hopefully!) road.

I'm looking for advice on Gearbox oil and Engine oil.

Cheers
Ewan

We have a Toyota Auris 1.6 auto on a 57 plate, and a 2002 1.4 / K11 micra. I use Magnatec 10W40 in both engines and all is fine even when changing it, it looks clean. But I need to know what is the best oil for the gear boxes of both these cars. the Toyota has never has a transmission oil change and now has 70,000 miles + on it and I feel it is time for a change, but with what and how much? The Micra has has a new oil filter on the CVT box and is filled with Dexron 3 and there are a few change and drive problems, could the oil impact on this? It has a Torque converter not the electronic clutch, I am new to Micra's and despite years as a mechanic I have never worked on a CVT box and so I am scratching about for ideas.

As the title says, if you have any oil related questions etc please post them here and we will do our best to help.

If you would like an oil recommendation please put the following.

Make -

Model -

Year -

Mods -

Use (road/track etc) -

Hopefullly we will be of some
As the title says, if you have any oil related questions etc please post them here and we will do our best to help.

If you would like an oil recommendation please put the following.

Make -

Model -

Year -

Mods -

Use (road/track etc) -

Hopefullly we will be of some use here:)

Cheers

Guy.
Opieoils.co.uk
Hi ?

I have a 2002 Nissan Micra with 1l 16v petrol motor with 102´000 km, all original and want to give some good oil !

I went on amazon and bought Castrol 5w30 GtX C4 oil, what Amazon say is adapted for my skippy. Had a great price with a reduction.

Just received it and now see that it is written in it: For diesel engines !!⚠️⚠️⚠️

Did I get the right oil ?

Now I am confused ?

Also the ASEA C4 indicator makes me think, because I saw that C3 is adapted. But is C4 simply better than C3 and adapted for Skippy ???

thank you for your precise advice,
Hello from France,
Eric ?