Oil advice and recommendations here

oilman

Online Trader
Official MSC Trader
As the title says, if you have any oil related questions etc please post them here and we will do our best to help.

If you would like an oil recommendation please put the following.

Make -

Model -

Year -

Mods -

Use (road/track etc) -

Hopefullly we will be of some use here:)

Cheers

Guy.
Opieoils.co.uk

Hello, I think this will be a great help to most of us micra drivers on this website.

Im talking about my self here but i think this should cover a good 70% of the micra owners that use this site.

I own a K11 Micra 2000, 1.4 but some will have 1.0, with only simple mods, indution kit, rear peco back box and 205/15 tyres. i use my car for the road but do tend to be quite an enthusiastic driver as most of us are.

what would you reccomend for our micras.

I have had a look at 0w-40 but have been told this wont last long and will have to make regular oil changes?

Any help will be greatly appriciated as im doing an oil change at the weekend.

Many Thanks

Antony

Ex. Club Member
i buy oil depending on how much money i have.

if im doing quite well i stick in some 15w-50 mobil1 motorsport oil and if im not doing so well i will use halfords 15w-40 Semi synthetic.

either way my engine is 14 years old with 150,000 miles on it and i rag the titties off it all the time.

still doesnt burn any oil. good old nissan........ and an advert for using decent oil

OP
OP
oilman

oilman

Online Trader
Official MSC Trader
Is this the same Oilman as on skylineowners.com? If so welcome bud. Im CHEEF aka 101 SQUAD :D

Yep, thats us.

Cheers
Guy

Nissan almera GTI
2.0L SR20DE
Engine oil
1999 T reg
K&N filter
cams
Road use

Cheers Curtis

Curtis,

For the Almera we recommend a good 5w-40 synthetic for all year round use, if you are on a budget a 10w-40 semi can also be used... But I would go synthetic if you can as they are better in every way.

Have a look here, the likes of the Motul 8100 Xcess, Fuchs Titan Supersyn 5w-40 are ideal http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx changed every 10,000 miles or once a year, which ever comes first.

Cheers

Guy

OP
OP
oilman

oilman

Online Trader
Official MSC Trader
Hello, I think this will be a great help to most of us micra drivers on this website.

Im talking about my self here but i think this should cover a good 70% of the micra owners that use this site.

I own a K11 Micra 2000, 1.4 but some will have 1.0, with only simple mods, indution kit, rear peco back box and 205/15 tyres. i use my car for the road but do tend to be quite an enthusiastic driver as most of us are.

what would you reccomend for our micras.

I have had a look at 0w-40 but have been told this wont last long and will have to make regular oil changes?

Any help will be greatly appriciated as im doing an oil change at the weekend.

Many Thanks

Hi,

0w-40 not last long... Quite the opposite. 0w oils are synthetic, its the only way the 0w viscosity can be achieved. Synthetics last longer then semi synthetic and mineral oil.

You can also use 5w-40 synthetic, this will give you much more choice (not many 0w-40 oils around) and again is ideal. If you are on a tight budget then 10w-40 semi synthetic with regular changes.

To throw another spanner in the works of the car is just used for light normal town style driving you can try a 5w-30 to improve fuel economy.

Cheers

Guy

i buy oil depending on how much money i have.

if im doing quite well i stick in some 15w-50 mobil1 motorsport oil and if im not doing so well i will use halfords 15w-40 Semi synthetic.

either way my engine is 14 years old with 150,000 miles on it and i rag the titties off it all the time.

still doesnt burn any oil. good old nissan........ and an advert for using decent oil

Next time try a 10w, it will be more friendly on start up then the 15w. So will circulate and warm up faster, as 90% of your engine wear occurs on start up this is a good thing.

Cheers

Guy

I take it that recommendation also applies for lightly modified micras?

Cheers

Yep, breathing mods that sort of thing :)

Cheers

Guy

I have a 2000 Nissan Micra S 1.0. The car has no mods. I'm on a pretty tight budget and try to get as much fuel economy as I can out of the car but I'm not afraid to spend a little extra for some decent oil.

Thanks.

superls

K10 Tuner
As per the other thread really.

i have a 1991 nissan micra 1.2, dont do many long motorway runs only dodging about to work mainly.

few mods at the minute. staedy in traffic driving with the occasional outburst on the rare clear back road.

i use morrisons own 10w40 semi sinthetic motor oil in mine.

is this suitable or not?

what do you recomend?

OP
OP
oilman

oilman

Online Trader
Official MSC Trader
Yes its fine, but remember Morrisons as at the cheaper more basic side of things. For a few extra pennies you could get a better quality semi synthetic that will protect better.

Cheers
Guy

Pete

Site Supporter
Ok here's one for you...

Make - Citroen

Model - CX Prestige 2400cc EFi

Year - 1983

Mods - none.

Use (road/track etc) - Road

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
Hi,

0w-40 not last long... Quite the opposite. 0w oils are synthetic, its the only way the 0w viscosity can be achieved. Synthetics last longer then semi synthetic and mineral oil.

You can also use 5w-40 synthetic, this will give you much more choice (not many 0w-40 oils around) and again is ideal. If you are on a tight budget then 10w-40 semi synthetic with regular changes.

To throw another spanner in the works of the car is just used for light normal town style driving you can try a 5w-30 to improve fuel economy.

Cheers

Guy

Isn't that slightly ambiguous ;) ......an oils life depends greatly on it's use.

Oils offer a wide range of interesting topics of discussion but like many things in life, it's somewhat a case of swings and roundabouts. Everyday driver?.....high performance engine?..reduced cold start wear?....good high temperature protection?....service intervals? to name a few.

I personally wouldn't use a 0w-40. Although a 0w-40 maybe synthetic, it offers very little advantage over a 10w-40 synthetic in terms of viscosity reduction at startup and the latter has the benefit of having less viscosity improving additives which have their drawbacks. A 10w-30 would offer a slight reduction in viscosity at operating temperature but at the expense of engine wear protection. I am splitting hairs but oils are complex and unless you read up or spend time as an oil analyst it's not always an easy choice.

All that aside, the key with all multigrades is to make sure oil is changed appropriately......you don't want it to degrade to the point of a 10w-40 behaving like a 10w-20 or even an SAE 10 grade.

Make - Mazda Eunos

Model - MX5

Year - 1991

Mods - exhaust manifold tubular stainless, Larini system chipped ECU cone filter.

Use (road/track etc) -road & track

What engine oil would you recomend, also has a tappety HLA and only 60k miles, diff oil and gearbox oil. please :)

OP
OP
oilman

oilman

Online Trader
Official MSC Trader
Isn't that slightly ambiguous ;) ......an oils life depends greatly on it's use.

Oils offer a wide range of interesting topics of discussion but like many things in life, it's somewhat a case of swings and roundabouts. Everyday driver?.....high performance engine?..reduced cold start wear?....good high temperature protection?....service intervals? to name a few.

I personally wouldn't use a 0w-40. Although a 0w-40 maybe synthetic, it offers very little advantage over a 10w-40 synthetic in terms of viscosity reduction at startup and the latter has the benefit of having less viscosity improving additives which have their drawbacks. A 10w-30 would offer a slight reduction in viscosity at operating temperature but at the expense of engine wear protection. I am splitting hairs but oils are complex and unless you read up or spend time as an oil analyst it's not always an easy choice.

All that aside, the key with all multigrades is to make sure oil is changed appropriately......you don't want it to degrade to the point of a 10w-40 behaving like a 10w-20 or even an SAE 10 grade.

I see you know some stuff about oil, good to see. You raised some good points there. I have articles that cover most sides of the oil debates, I will try to dig some out.

Cheers

Guy

Make - Mazda Eunos

Model - MX5

Year - 1991

Mods - exhaust manifold tubular stainless, Larini system chipped ECU cone filter.

Use (road/track etc) -road & track

What engine oil would you recomend, also has a tappety HLA and only 60k miles, diff oil and gearbox oil. please :)

We tend to recommend 5w-4 synthetic for all year round use. Have a look at the Motul 8100 Xcess 5w-40 and the Fuchs Titan Supersyn here http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

For the gearbox and diff, have a look at the Silkolene Syn5 75w-90 its been well proven in the MX5 http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-850-silkolene-silktran-syn-5-75w-90-fully-synthetic-gear-oil.aspx You will need 2ltr for the gearbox and 1ltr for the diff.

Cheers

Guy

joesouthgate

Super Moderator
Club Member
Make - Nissan

Model - Micra Super S 1.3

Year - 1993

Mods - Panel Filter, 4 branch manifold and straight through system.

Use (road/track etc) - Spirited road driving ;)

James

Chairman

squarepants

Ex. Club Member
Make - Nissan

Model - Micra si 1.3

Year - 1998

Mods - standard :D

i know i will need 10w-40. but wondering what make is best? anything is better than cheap stuff.

OP
OP
oilman

oilman

Online Trader
Official MSC Trader
Make -Nissan
Model - Primera GT 2.0
Year - 1998
Mods - stainless steel catback system and K&N panel filter
Use (road/track etc) - "Enthusiastic" road ;)

I currently use Halfords Motorsport oil (5W50) only because it was the same price as the 5W40 Halfords stuff I usually use. Any recommendations?

Motorsport oil: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_230747_langId_-1_categoryId_165581
My usual stuff: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_197033_langId_-1_categoryId_165581

Its about the same quality as the Halfords 5w-40, but no need to go for a SAE50, 5w-40 is fine. I would go for a better well branded one though, the halfords stuff is made to a budget.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Cheers

Guy

Make - Nissan

Model - Micra si 1.3

Year - 1998

Mods - standard :D

i know i will need 10w-40. but wondering what make is best? anything is better than cheap stuff.

You can use 10w-40 semi or 5w-40 synthetic. Plenty to choose from and any reputable brand will do.

Have a browse http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-647-engine-oils.aspx

Cheers

Guy

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
Make - Micra

Model - 160SR

Year - 2006

Mods - Panel filter and cat-back stainless exhaust

Use (road/track etc) - Enthusiastic road use, high mileage

Since I gave up services, mine's had Castrol Edge 5w30 every 5,000 miles. The engine has 105,000 on it and aced it's MOT, would I be better changing to 5w40, especially in the summer?

Seb_

Give me some frogs.
Site Supporter
Hi sir Oilman !
Let's go:
Make -Nissan Micra K11

Model - 1.3 engine has done 54 000KM

Year - 1997

Mods - NGK spark lead cables, Almera n15 1.6 airbox with oem nissan air filter

Use (road/track etc) - Hot roads of Corsica, with loats of bends and climbs in the mountains(mediterranean weather) + travel Paris to Marseille > Marseille to Paris (1000km x2, mainly highways 100 to 130kmh)
Pedal pushed to the floor driving

Thank you for your advice ;)

OP
OP
oilman

oilman

Online Trader
Official MSC Trader
Make - Micra

Model - 160SR

Year - 2006

Mods - Panel filter and cat-back stainless exhaust

Use (road/track etc) - Enthusiastic road use, high mileage

Since I gave up services, mine's had Castrol Edge 5w30 every 5,000 miles. The engine has 105,000 on it and aced it's MOT, would I be better changing to 5w40, especially in the summer?

I'd stick with the 5w-30, unless it starts burning a lot, then go for a 5w-40.

Cheers

Tim

OP
OP
oilman

oilman

Online Trader
Official MSC Trader
Hi sir Oilman !
Let's go:
Make -Nissan Micra K11

Model - 1.3 engine has done 54 000KM

Year - 1997

Mods - NGK spark lead cables, Almera n15 1.6 airbox with oem nissan air filter

Use (road/track etc) - Hot roads of Corsica, with loats of bends and climbs in the mountains(mediterranean weather) + travel Paris to Marseille > Marseille to Paris (1000km x2, mainly highways 100 to 130kmh)
Pedal pushed to the floor driving

Thank you for your advice ;)

Hi

Any idea how hot your oil is getting?

Cheers

Tim

Seb_

Give me some frogs.
Site Supporter
No but weather temp Will be around 35° (ill pick the car in ten days, I dont know yet which kind of oil it has been seeviced with )

Guy

Club Member
Cheers Tim, it's never burnt a drop of oil between changes so I'll stick with 5W30 :).

Seb_

Give me some frogs.
Site Supporter
Thank you Tim? Could it be dangerous with this mileage to change to 5w40 if the car used to be serviced with 10w40?

hey guys,

I'm thinking of changing the oil in the next weeks as it's been quite some time now :eek:

The micra is a 1.0 16v 44kW engine. So far I've been looking at 5W40 100% synthetic oils, and have found Total Quartz Energy 9000 at a good price. I wanted to know if this oil is compatible with the micra.

These are the oil's specs:

ACEA 2007 A3/B4
API SM/CF
VOLKSWAGEN Liv. 502.00/505.00
BMW Longlife oil 01
MB 229.5
PORSCHE

Also, I wanted to know what the oil pan bolt size is? I read somewhere it is a 10mm one? can anyone confirm?

cheers(Y)

OP
OP
oilman

oilman

Online Trader
Official MSC Trader
It's not a bad oil if it's cheap, better than plenty of others, but can be overpriced at times.

Cheers

Make -Nissan
Model - Micra 1.3 Si
Year - 1999
Mods - no air filter/box, 96Kg strip, side exit no back box, adjustable fuel pressure reg, 15s on 205/55/15
Use (road/track etc) - energetic B-road blasting!

Mr Haynes reccommends 5w30 semi so thats what ive been using. is there anything better i could put in, just to smooth off the running of the car!

Make - Nissan

Model - Micra

Year - 1993

Mods - Dynoed at 89hp, ( still to buy exhaust manifold, bigger TB etc)

Use (road/track etc) -Hard road use and 1-2x a month on th track

I have been using Motul X-cess 5w40 im considering switching to Fuchs titan for next summer. What do you think?

Guy

Club Member
Tim (and Guy) are right. If this winter hits -18c like it did last winter, you're far better off with 5W- than 10W-, 15W- or 20W-. You want the oil to start circulating around the valve train as soon as possible. It can't do that if it's the texture of honey in the freezing cold. The American market is starting to get very enthusiastic about 0W-20 weight oil :wow:.

OP
OP
oilman

oilman

Online Trader
Official MSC Trader
Yes, the 5w is a bonus for cold start protection.

The Americans (and Japanese) are using thin oils to try to the best mpg to get around emissions, but it does benefit cold start protection as well.

Cheers

Tim