Oh Dear....ground to a halt!

A few days ago I thought she might be getting slightly slow to start in the morning, so I hooked up the battery charger with the battery still in the car, it drew 3 or 4 amps at first, then about zero hours later. Grand, no great difference to starting, but fine anyway. So this evening I had a meeting to attend a few miles out in the country, set off, oh, there's the red battery symbol on in the dash, I'll keep going maybe borrow a charger at my destination. (yep, should have turned back). A few miles later the lights are getting dimmer, then the engine loses power and cuts out. My lovely partner came to my rescue, the battery is out and charging at home, I'm hoping the car will start in the morning and get home again.
I'm a bit disappointed that it's not a broken alternator belt, that might be easy to fix, it could be slipping I suppose, I replaced the alternator with a second hand one about a year ago. The belt is not in great shape though. But cars can run with no battery attached, though maybe not with lights on?
Short version:
Night time, Red Light on in Dash, Head Lights go Dim, Car Cuts Out!

Any suggestions gratefully received! Thanks.

OP
OP
Tornado
Charged the battery over night, put it in the car and vroom...she started and got me home. taking out the battery with the engine running stops the engine, so it looks like the alternator is the problem, whether bust or a bad connection, I do not know yet.

I'd suggest having a look at the voltage regulator and brushes on your alternator and replacing them if worn, in my experience most alternator problems come down to this replaceable unit.

OP
OP
Tornado
So it's all good. The mechanic I originally bought the car from happened to have an alternator lying around, and fitted it with a new belt for not too much money. (Could have been more, could have been less). The red light is out, voltage at idle 14.5 or so. All set for winter. Grand, thanks for the replies. ?