Oh Crap!

Kev

Pro Cut Vinyl
Founding Member
Official MSC Trader
Well I have a major problem for JAE, whilst finishing off the install today the alternator belt began to make a noise. So I checked it out and it's thread bear, in a right poor state.

Mark seems to think it's not even the right belt :wow: you can actually see daylight through it on a piece about 20 cm long.

I have booked it into my local garage for tuesday, earliest they could do it, but I will be going to a toyota garage tomorrow in hope they can order the belt in and do it saturday or even tomorrow. Not looking good at the moment.

I really can't risk bringing the car with the belt in such poor condition.

Sam is tired up saturday, so we maybe bringing down the gazebo, banner etc with us tomorrow night and setup then, but I don't know how I'm going to get to the show on saturday.

Another reason why I can't camp is that I'm suffering very badly with a condition called sciatica which is almost bringing me to a complete stop, I had physio a few months back and had the condition for about 2 years now, but the crash has made things a lot worse to the point I can hardly stand at times and sleeping is very difficult. Add to that the tent got trashed at glastonbury anyway.

I'll definately be there on sunday as we can use Sam's car on that day, saturday I'll be there at somepoint, might be when Sam gets back.

All the best made plans and a belt looks like it may destroy them.

I have to put the car first as if it went it could cause some serious damage.

Kev :down:

Napster

And the Wide Green Bug
Kev, im really sorry to hear this!!

thats so annoying and with JAE tomorrow (not rubbing it as i know you know its 2moro...and im not going :down: ) but what a time for the car to have a problem!!!

have you not got a local "motor place" nearby that have parts in stock? i use "mill autos" there usually very good for parts in stock? or is it just the "glanza" has a different / special uprated belt compared to a standard "starlet"??

naps

OP
OP
Kev

Kev

Pro Cut Vinyl
Founding Member
Official MSC Trader
Kev, im really sorry to hear this!!

thats so annoying and with JAE tomorrow (not rubbing it as i know you know its 2moro...and im not going :down: ) but what a time for the car to have a problem!!!

have you not got a local "motor place" nearby that have parts in stock? i use "mill autos" there usually very good for parts in stock? or is it just the "glanza" has a different / special uprated belt compared to a standard "startlet"??

naps

That's what I need to find out if it uses the same belts as the uk starlet, I don't think they do and then it's getting into a garage to get the work done. I have never changed the belts on any of my cars before and I'm struggling with my back.

grrr how annoying

Kev

ollie240585

Ex. Club Member
No point risking it Kev.

Was looking forward to seeing the Glanza! Sounds like you're not having the best of luck mate!

Really hoping you can get it sorted and up there!!

OP
OP
Kev

Kev

Pro Cut Vinyl
Founding Member
Official MSC Trader
according to a member on TGTT the altenator belt is pretty easy to change, just finding out some more info now. I maybe able to do it myself, sod the pain I've been working through it all week on the install.

ollie240585

Ex. Club Member
I have only done belts on 1.6 CVH Ford engines, and that was easy.

Can't imagine it being too difficult to do!

All the best mate, and I shall see you tomorrow! If my car makes it that is!

Napster

And the Wide Green Bug
it is annoying about your back problem, which im also sorry about......because its a shame you couldnt fix it urself if you got the belt in the morning somehow!!!!!

hope you get one tomorow Kev!!! after all ur prep on the glanza beast fitting the whiteline kit etc.....seems a shame if you dont get it on a stand imo (Y)

OP
OP
Kev

Kev

Pro Cut Vinyl
Founding Member
Official MSC Trader
Well it appears it's a pretty simple job, I will be heading down to toyota in the morning in hope they have the belt in and I should be able to do it myself.

in fact lol I did do a belt change on the micra many years back, I guess I just got concerned with it being a new engine, obviously more complicated in layout and design to the micra and corolla.

Looks like my busy day might just get that bit busier.

Kev

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Bummer about you falling to pieces mate! hope your ok.

Edit - Kev is in Toyota now getting fixed up. Not sure if he's referring to himself or the car though :p

Shouldnt be to hard kev, usually a bolt on the alternator bracket that lets it slide to tighten or loosen the belt, thats on like 70% of cars, others work from the pully, might need a allen key. if you cant get a belt you can allways nip to a esso and buy a Emergency replacement belt, bright orange they are and dead stretchy, my mate used one for a few weeks until it snapped :p

All the best

OP
OP
Kev

Kev

Pro Cut Vinyl
Founding Member
Official MSC Trader
all fixed :D

If I would of had more time I would have tried to do it myself and would have liked to save on toyota's bill, but I have the piece of mind it's sorted by them and when they were doing it allowed me to get in town and sort out a few bits for JAE..

Now off to macro to get some drinks and goodies for you lot over the weekend.

Also really good of toyota to fit me on such short notice and good job they stocked the belts.

Kev :)