Odd keyfob blipper problem

Hi all - brand new to the site, found it whilst looking for help with a bizarre problem.

I've got a 56 reg Micra Spirita. Had it since September with no problems at all. Last week I started having trouble locking and unlocking the car with the remote blipper. I initially assumed it was a low battery in the key, but then the spare key did exactly the same. Just as I was thinking that the car battery had gone flat, the blipper (which I'd been pushing and waving about randomly) opened the car. On turning the ignition the car starts first time and all the electrics are working fine, so it can't be the car battery.

The strange part is that at the other end of the journey, the blipper worked fine - it locked and unlocked the doors repeatedly, from a distance, multiple times. I still wondered if maybe it had been a low battery and it just needed a drive to recharge, BUT...when I got home again, it was exactly the same: both blippers being very unresponsive and only working after a lot of button pushing and waving about.

So I've got a key fob remote only works very intermittently, but only when I'm parked at home. I wondered if it might be some kind of radio interference, but I though that only happened in the very early systems.

Am absolutely stumped and would be very grateful for any help or ideas.

Cheers.