OBD Scanner question

I realise this subject may have come up before, and have noticed it in a few threads I've looked through, my question is about obd scanners. Basically, for the uneducated heathen that I am in these matters, which type would be most useful to have, just in case a fault should rear it's head? I've had a look on eb*y and have seen them from anything around £15 upwards. Would a cheap one suffice or would I ideally be best going for a higher end model? Also do they give you a code if there are any stored faults or only if you start getting warning lights/issues? Excuse my naivety on the subject, I'm happier twirling spanners than on electrickery matters. All input gratefully received.

Hope you're all keeping well and getting the opportunity to get out to play or spanner to your hearts content.

I would recommend to buy a higher end model. That case it would last you longer and give you more options. Myself have bought a Autel AL615 i believe in '16 or '17 from ebay. Nowadays they are called autolink. You could also buy a bluetooth obd scanner. The one from bluedriver seems like a good one. Scip the ELM 327 ones and likes if possible.

Many thanks for your reply, I'll look into that model and it's suitability.

Your 2002 K11 will be OBD 2 with 16 pin out data connection test point outlet and if it’s running right from the get go, then you are most unlikely to have any issues other than simple routine annual servicing for which I have never needed a fault code reader in 19 years of driving ancient old K11 Micras! :)

DFD32F82-A75D-461C-9E96-7D8662FAC5BA.jpeg
I have had this thing for 3 years cost me 7 quid, using torque pro app, works fine for engine codes and resetting lights .
235E79CD-B1AB-417E-B00B-E1C1A88BC7B4.jpeg
Recently upgraded to this foxwell nt680 pro which covers everything on a car, cost me £180

I only really needed the upgrade as I do a lot of work on cars and needed all the new transmission and electric brake functions.

The foxwell is probably a little overkill for my needs, but good to know gucci bits of kit like that are available, and won't put too much of a dent in resources. So these scanners aren't just for engine faults? Every day is a school day.

I got the new one half price so thought why not. I would say the elm 327 should do all you need, it will find codes for things like abs sensors as well as all the engine codes and reset the light, I’m not sure there is much more on a micra to scan anyway lol

Mr Fahrenheit said ~

Quote; “upgraded to this foxwell nt680 pro which covers everything on a car, cost me £180

I could buy another K11 Micra in good running order with a long MOT for that much Wonga & never have any use for the superfluous Foxwell male jewellery that would sit unused on the gadget shelf.

I try to avoid wasting money & my time working on cars as much as possible, that’s why I stick with K11s for the last 19 years, as they just keep going with only a basic DIY bi-ennual ( two yearly ) service & no problems for cheap as chips Bangernomics motoring.

The Tripod Bangernomics site looks ancient as do bangers & that’s the whole point as the established principles of cheap as chips no thrills banger motoring remain unchanged.

Put simply, I don’t waste money & time unnecessarily on cars. Enjoy. :)

Reference; http://bangernomics.tripod.com/

Last edited:
Quote; “I could buy another K11 Micra in good running order with a long MOT for that much Wonga & never have any use for the superfluous Foxwell male jewellery that would sit unused on the gadget shelf”

Neither of them even plug in to my 98 micra either ?

Quote; “I could buy another K11 Micra in good running order with a long MOT for that much Wonga & never have any use for the superfluous Foxwell male jewellery that would sit unused on the gadget shelf”

Neither of them even plug in to my 98 micra either ?

Well said you make my point eh?

You also may;

Quote; never have any use for the superfluous Foxwell male jewellery that would sit unused on the gadget shelf.

Mine is a 1998 1300cc ( OBD one ) & just keeps going in its twenty third year of trouble & cost free service, no need for waste of space & money scanners here.

Too much information is a distraction waste of time when the vehicle is for driving & not endlessly messing about with wasting one’s life away.

I just put petrol in the back & the Mrs & myself in the front out & about when the Sun is out runabout.

That is what it was built for. :)

Last edited:
Ah I work on cars for a living, well did till recently lol and anything one enjoys is never a waste of time....or money
Once you have new tools you will only want more even shinier tools?
think I cut out the port wires when I condensed the loom to basics, whoops.

Ok guys, I know this is 3 year old post. But I'm really confused about this OBD scanner. I tried many cheap ELM327 versions as well as this VAG-COM VCDS Scanner Tool OBD2 KKL CH340 409.1. Neither of these works for me. Can you please help to find a good ELM327 reader for me. I don't need a very expensive one. Need to read RPM, O2 Sensor and some I/M reads would be enough. I have just exhausted by trying most of these adaptors. I tried these,

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 44
Back