Now with 160SR springs, Koni rears and 20mm spacers on the back

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
As the thread title says, an even older friend and I fitted the original 160 SR springs that I got from Callum, along with a pair of Koni STR rear shock absorbers and at the same time I fitted a pair of hub centric 20mm rear wheel spacers.
Changing the rear springs and dampers is really quick and easy, but to change the front springs you have to remove the front struts completely, a bit more complicated, but if you have access to a couple of big trolley jacks, axle stands and a good spring compressor it's just time consuming.
The two of us (combined age 141) did the complete job, including an oil and filter change in under 4 hours, including a half hour stop for lunch.:)
What a difference it has made to the way it goes round corners now, taken out all of the wallowing and skipping on the rear end :cool:
Front:-
xNxkOAy.jpg

3/4 side:-
rq0LndT.jpg

Side:-
EYMDdVL.jpg

and a close up of the rear wheel/arch :-
m7WmiDR.jpg

The 'Sports Suspension' springs have lowered the car by about 25mm and generally stiffened up the car, making it so much nicer to drive :cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
John_D

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
Well done. When my springs were changed, mine and my friends combined age was only 100 years,change took about 2.5 hours.
My actually, 'just under 4 hours' was from driving into my mates barn, to driving out again, having put all of the tools away and swept up, not forgetting changing the rear dampers, which necessitated getting access to the top fixings and the half hour lunch break, needless to say we were not in any hurry. ;)
All in all a very worthwhile exercise, it feels like a different car to drive, I assume that the spring rates on the 160 SR springs are quite different from the 'normal' springs, and the Koni rear shocks really help as well.