Not sporty but !

Hi just got my youngest a 97 micra vibe, ok I know its not a sport model but this seams to be the only micra forum that anyone ever answers. Its currently with my tame mechanic as there is no power at all, most embarasing driving up hill at 15mph :confused: I suspect MAF or TPS but what do you lot think? Also the airbag light dose not come on, its not a normal bulb but 2 LEDs on a small circuit board, how do I check if they are working and if not where can I get a replacement?

OP
OP
Madrat
It lookd like it was services not to long ago, the oil is quite clean a is the air filter. It starts first time and runs very smooth, there is just no power.

cherrytuner

K11 Blackmask
It lookd like it was services not to long ago, the oil is quite clean a is the air filter. It starts first time and runs very smooth, there is just no power.

Should check the plugs/fuel filter/distributor/ignition timing also...

I recently bought a K11 for spares and was lacking power, ignition timing was way late... after adjusting was all good again.

I was only playing I've had 2 cg10's and never had a problem going uphill, I just worded my question wrong.

I should of asked...

When you say it feels under powered in what way does it?

Is it hesitation or jerkiness?

Most of the time it's a case of dry joints in the maf which require re soldering or a replacement tb.

OP
OP
Madrat
I have driven lots of things with less power than the Micra but this was definatly not right! Even a Fiat 126 fully loaded would be more powerfull.

OP
OP
Madrat
What should the ignition timing be? Haynes say about 14 BTDC which is what it was set at when I checked. Plugs were fine. When you put your foot down nothing happens.

cherrytuner

K11 Blackmask
What should the ignition timing be? Haynes say about 14 BTDC which is what it was set at when I checked. Plugs were fine. When you put your foot down nothing happens.
The timing is not the issue then....that haynes number should be close enough :)

Souds a lot like related to the tb joints...as karlj said. Easy fix!

Being a 97 your maf isn't replaceable it's physically built into the throttle body.

You'll either need to replace the whole throttle body or solder the dry joints ( give me a minute and I'll get you a link)

If I was you I'd try re soldering before buying a new (used) tb

OP
OP
Madrat
OK because of lack of time I left the car with my tame mechanic, its had a new LAMBA probe and a recon throttle body and it is still to quote him "as flat as a fart" nothing is showing in the live data or being recorded by the ecu and there are now air leaks. He thinks the timing chain could have stretched and so the valve timing could be out, but wouldn't this make the chain noisy?

h701micra

Deactivated Account
If you've an air leak I'd sort that first cheapest and best thing to do.
Timing chain can stretch but the tensioner usually takes it up even though its slightly out
Vac pipes are cheaper than timing chains ;)

OP
OP
Madrat
:oops: Boy is my face red. I got the nissan back and left it sitting on the drive for ages then the other day I decided to have a play. I had only set the timing wrong :eek:, For some reason I had read the timing marks right to left instead of left to right so had set it at 5 degrees ATDC ! POWER...... :D

Still a problem though. had to set timing to 15 degrees BTDC, with TPS disconnected running at about 1050 rpm, this is the lowest I can get it to rev. With the TPS connected the revs drop to 850 and the timing drops to about 2 degrees BTDC. The car drives OK a bit of judder sometimes in 3rd and the fuel consumption is great but why cant I get the revs down with the TPS disconnected?

frank

Club Member
15 deg @ 1050 rpm will be too retarded madrat, and you can adjust the idle via the idle screw :) (plastic allen key screw on the offside rear corner)

OP
OP
Madrat
I cant get it to idle any lower with the tps unpluged even if I back the idle screw compleatly off. I there a setting for the timing with the tps pluged in?

frank

Club Member
I cant get it to idle any lower with the tps unpluged even if I back the idle screw compleatly off. I there a setting for the timing with the tps pluged in?
if the idle screw is fully in ? then you will have to adjust the butterfly to close further madrat, you wont be able to set the timing accurately till the idle is @ 650

OP
OP
Madrat
still no joy, wax stat is not touching the throttle mechanism when the engine is warm so still cant get revs to drop.