Noisy Engine, but not the engine ooOOoooh!

Hi All

First post for me really, so a big hey from me!

I have a R Reg 1.0l Passion that is frankley awsome, always had Minis but i have definatley been converted but very new to the Micra. First things first the car overal is in perfect nic and have just slapped a set of 15" Vaxhaul Tigra Alloys on it and it looks sweet.

On to the problem. i have a strange Wirring/grinding kind of noise coming from the engine but the engine itself is not ticking and is running sweet. i think it may be one of the wheels the Belt travels along maybe bearings or something?? can anyone shed some light on what it might be and maybe then i can tackle it.

Thanks again guys!

Mackie

hmm, its not a sqeaking noise though Chogy mate. its more of a low ish grinding type noise? Damn its hard to explain a noise!! lol

Its the left side as your looking into the engine bay, and does it all the time, obviously the reving of the engine drowns it out while driving.

Alternator, powersteering pump, tensioners or waterpump all have bearings in that region Makie.

Maybe see if you can get a stethascope in there or something to pin point which one, other options to take each off and spin it... alternator being the easiest to start with :)

A low grumbling is normally from tired bearings.

And welcome to the MSC!

Alternator, powersteering pump, tensioners or waterpump all have bearings in that region Makie.

Maybe see if you can get a stethascope in there or something to pin point which one, other options to take each off and spin it... alternator being the easiest to start with :)

A low grumbling is normally from tired bearings.

And welcome to the MSC!

I find a long screwdriver and your ear works ok

Hi All

First post for me really, so a big hey from me!

I have a R Reg 1.0l Passion that is frankley awsome, always had Minis but i have definatley been converted but very new to the Micra. First things first the car overal is in perfect nic and have just slapped a set of 15" Vaxhaul Tigra Alloys on it and it looks sweet.

On to the problem. i have a strange Wirring/grinding kind of noise coming from the engine but the engine itself is not ticking and is running sweet. i think it may be one of the wheels the Belt travels along maybe bearings or something?? can anyone shed some light on what it might be and maybe then i can tackle it.

Thanks again guys!

Mackie

Do you have power steering in it? I had couple of K11 micras and those both had rattly noise from the belt tensioner what is in the backside of the engine.

My daily driver K11 blackmask has the same rattle too but it has power steering, i think it rattles from the power steering pulley/tensioner.
And those rattles sound just like the worn bearings sound in a pulley .

Do you have power steering in it? I had couple of K11 micras and those both had rattly noise from the belt tensioner what is in the backside of the engine.

My daily driver K11 blackmask has the same rattle too but it has power steering, i think it rattles from the power steering pulley/tensioner.
And those rattles sound just like the worn bearings sound in a pulley .
Yeah it has power stearing so yeah could be that, its definatley left back of the engine somewhere but cant pin point it, will try the screwdriver thing too, but yeah tried W40 everything in sight but didnt seem to make a difference. failing that will have to see if someone can cast an experienced eye over it.

Will keep you posted, and thanks for the help.

Still cant find it!! i dont suppose anyone from on here is in Bristol maybe take a look? bacon sandwich and cup of tea could be on offer:)?

You could drop the belts off and just work your way around all the suspects...so long as you've got the tools available that is. :)

I've had exactly what you're describing on two Micras now and both times it was the heatshield on the bottom of the engine going from the manifold/downpipe underneath the car. Bolts had gotten rusty and it was rattling at low rpm. Made a hell of a lot of noise and sounded like the engine was about to explode.

Back