noisy brake discs

Hi All, At the end of February I had my cars MOT which failed, but I had it fixed, by using some spare parts I had already bought ( front discs & pads). However since they were fitted I have an on-going queal from the front wheels. And have found when I jacked up the car that the discs are really very close to the pads is this normal as I was worried that it sounds like the passenger side bearing is at fault as I think it has a droning noise coming from the wheel or is it the road surface.
I was told by a mechanic years ago that the bearing are heard at 55-60MPH and I was only driving 20-30mph. can you help? Yours Peter0003

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
cleaning the brake pad carrier clips and where the clips sit on calipers clear of build up and rust should help. apply appropriate lubricant to pads where they sit in the clips also.
drimel type tool with wire brush attachment speeds things up with the cleaning

Sticky calipers can also cause squealing as the binding heats the disc too much and pads cant retract easily.

It might be contraversial, but I still put copper grease on the back of pads to help prevent squealing, though there are those now that claim it's very bad. 25 years on of doing and I've found no bad effects.

SuperUno

Buy & Sell Member
Is the noise there only when you press the brakes or all the time? If only when you press the brakes, then a bit of cooper slip/grease on the back, and slider parts of the pads will solve it. If all the time then it is more likely a wheel bearing.

OP
OP
Peter0003
Hi Matt Endean, The noise is only noticed when driving on long but stops when the brakes are applied. I have jacked the car up this morning to clear them and found them coated with cooper grease on the back of the pads and also discovered that the pads are not the same thickness all the way around the disc face by using a micrometer. So even with the noise being heard whilst driving you thinks its the bearing?

Peter0003

OP
OP
Peter0003
Hi Guys, An answer to my noisy discs turned out to be a loose drive shaft nut which had not been torqued up enough. When I watched a youtube clip (this afternoon) about how to check for a bearing faults the guy said check the driveshaft nut could be loose and cause the noise. So I did and was surprised to find that it was loose even with slip pin in so I tightened up the nut & wheel nuts and then went for a test drive, NO more nosie. I may not go back to the MOT people again as they did the repair to get My k11 to get it through the MOT & its looks like they were in a hurry & did'nt check thge tightness of my wheels.!!! Thanks For all your advise anyway. Peter0003

Not quite sure how a loose driveshaft nut would sound like noise discs.

Either way you were very lucky, that nut literally holds the whole wheel and hub on the car. You may even have damaged the bearing by having it loose.

OP
OP
Peter0003
Hi Vexorg, The sound coming from the brake discs was probably a warning, to have me look into what the nosie was and today I made sure that the bearing were OK which they are, on both front wheels. peter0003

OP
OP
Peter0003
Hi All, I'm never going back to Marston MOT garage "in Croydon,London for my MOT or repair work ." As it appears that they did'nt repair my car properly, although the repair got it through the MOT. As I have had to remove both calipers remove the rust & apply copper grease to the reverse sides of the brake pads & Clips then refit the calipers. Why would the mechanic remove the dust guards behind the disc's & then leave the passenger side driveshalf nut not torqued up enough? All I can think of is that he was thinking I would return to get it fixed again and spend more money with them.!!!! But I hope that my repairs are enough as I did a long test drive today and there is no noises at all. yours Peter0003

And i take it you have torqued the nut now.. This isn't funny but the times I have seen this and have had to Torque both sides.
I would advise all to check your vehicles this is not unique to just Nissan's folks, if your vehicle has had work where the drive shafts have needed to be removed get those center nuts checked today!

OP
OP
Peter0003
And i take it you have torqued the nut now.. This isn't funny but the times I have seen this and have had to Torque both sides.
I would advise all to check your vehicles this is not unique to just Nissan's folks, if your vehicle has had work where the drive shafts have needed to be removed get those center nuts checked today!
Hi Bubba, Yes they're torqued up aright.

OP
OP
Peter0003
Which Copy of the Haynes Manual are you using as my copy Published 2005 and on chapher 8 page 1 Max torque settings for driveshaft nut is 177 Nm or 131ibft ( My K11 is a 1998 model has No PAS, no sunroof or air bags). And this copy does state that is doesn't cover new Micra's built after 2003.

Peter0003

OP
OP
Peter0003
Hi Vexorg, I have a question for you or even the designers of this website, when I write post in the k11 forum /general discussion it should then be noted that I am writting about a k11 NOT any other micra model? So when Vexorg says that should've been clearer, well I was to anyone in the k11 section. I realise it a free country etc. but please look carefully in which section you are reading in |!!!!! Peter0003