Noise from right side of engine

I drove my 96 1.0/5speed from the uk to Germany, around 500 miles

Before I left I did a fresh oil change ,

The other day I drove the car and it now has a loud rattle from the right side of the engine,
So I sprayed some lub on the alt and w/p and other pulley and the sound stayed the same

But when the car heats up, the sound goes away,
The engine idles fine and isn't low on power or anything
And with the engine cold and I start driving fast, 30plus mph the sound goes away

I have already removed the heat shields from exhaust

I think it's coming from the upper chain, but I havnt removed the side cover yet

In about 4.5 weeks I'm going to drive this car back to home, 500 miles

I have to figure out if I should drive home with how it is or try and replace the upper chain on one of the weekends I have off from class

I was thinking about dropping the oil to make sure theirs no metal shaving

Last edited:
I drove my 96 1.0/5speed from the uk to Germany, around 500 miles

Before I left I did a fresh oil change ,

The other day I drove the car and it now has a loud rattle from the right side of the engine,
So I sprayed some lub on the alt and w/p and other pulley and the sound stayed the same

But when the car heats up, the sound goes away,
The engine idles fine and isn't low on power or anything
And with the engine cold and I start driving fast, 30plus mph the sound goes away

I have already removed the heat shields from exhaust

I think it's coming from the upper chain, but I havnt removed the side cover yet

In about 4.5 weeks I'm going to drive this car back to home, 500 miles

I have to figure out if I should drive home with how it is or try and replace the upper chain on one of the weekends I have off from class

I was thinking about dropping the oil to make sure theirs no metal shaving

The faults you decribe sound like the oil you put in is a higher viscosity than required. This was a common fault on fords in the 90's. People were putting 20/50 on oil changes instead of 10/40. The symptoms you describe are the same as the fords.
I'd change the oil for a different brand as a start, its the cheapest and easiest step in a process of elimination.

Please like this if it helped.

I just got some new 10/40 oil and while I'm messing with the car, I'm going to pull the side cam cover and check that out

When the engine is cold, it's pretty bad, but as soon as it gets up to running temp the sound is gone

I found a auto parts store close to my school, but I really don't want to do the job here but if I have to, I have a three day weekend coming up and that will be the best time for me to do so

well, I took the side cover off of the engine this morning and the upper chain tensioner that broke

the chain links look good, I think the chain is made out of harder metal then the tensioner piston

I went to the auto parts store and they gave me the postal code for the Nissan dealer in K-town
and so I went and ordered the timing chain set from the dealer at 200 euro,
and the part will be in Monday at noon
and they close at 5:30pm
so I have a little bit of time after class on Monday to get a ride down to the dealer to pick up the parts

I went to all the local yards here in Germany and they said they don't have any micra's and one yard said they havnt had one in their yard for over 6 months

If I was back home in the uk, I would just get a tensioner from a yard and call it good,
I'll have the new kit Monday afternoon,

Looking at the tensioner, I don't think the car will make the 500 mile drive home in a few weeks
And it would suck to break down inbetween here and Calais,

I'm a wrench turner so this job is cake work

There are dozens of Micra breaking on eBay UK.
I bet you could get one posted to you for a few €

Put the new part in and the sound is gone, drove the car around and it had the throttle response and even the sound from the exhaust is better

My tensioner ended up like that. The bare metal sharpened the chain like a knife and it chewed few new top tensioners in no time at all.

Keep a close eye on it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Right now I just did the tensioner and left the old chain on, when I get back to England, I'm going to change out the old chain, because I'll have my tools and I'm not trying to get into that big of a job in the hotel parking lot or school parking lot over here in Germany with a few hand tools

Back