No power to head unit

Hi there,
I'm writing on behalf of my sister who's got a 1996(ish) micra and its got no power to the head unit. I've checked the fuse, its all ok, and all the other electrics seem to work.
Is this a common fault at all, what can be done to fix it?

Cheers

Gurpreet

Ex. Club Member
The original Nissan Head Unit or your own (non-nissan) Head Unit?
I don't think it is a common problem tbh

All I can suggest if it is non-nissan is:
- Check the fuse on the back of the HU if there is one
- Could be a bad or loose Earth
- Other loose wire
- Mechanical failure: the product has seen its days or has developed a fault

OP
OP
TezP
Its with whichever headunit i put in, the standard and the new one. I've checked the head unit fuses and they're all ok. Where would a loose earth cable be?would it be easy to look for?

Cheers

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
Make sure the Aeriel is connected, most stereos don't work without it, my earth was disconnected at the actual Aeriel.

OP
OP
TezP
How would i go about checking that the earths ok at the aerial? I've plugged the aerial into the head unit as i knew that was how it got power, but obviously if its disconnected then it wont work

Cheers

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
Have you got a voltage tester? if not you can use a bulb and some wire, connect one end to the constant live and the other to the earth or aeriel, if you get light/ voltage you have a good earth.

OP
OP
TezP
Right well I've tested earth, thats fine, and there's 12volts coming down on of the cables. Neither of my head units will power up. I'm at a loss as to why this is the case. Anyone else got any feedback?

Thanks