No Left Speaker Sound

Hi, I am a complete newbie here. I have recently acquired a Nissan Micra K11 P Reg. It works great, except that no sound is coming out of the front left speaker. There are only two speakers, front right and front left, and I don't believe the stereo system has ever been modified. It is as it was originally manufactured. But no sound comes out of the front left speaker. It could be something simple, or more complicated beyond my technical ability to fix. Any ideas on how to find the fault and fix it would be helpful.

I should add that when I bought it, the previous owner had lost the radio code, so I had to open the front panel to take out the radio to obtain the serial number, and with it obtain the radio code, which I did without much difficulty. It is possible that I may have dislodged something while doing that. But I am pretty sure I didn't. I was very careful with it to make sure I didn't cause any damage. Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

joesouthgate

Super Moderator
Club Member
The speakers in Micras are not that great, made of cardboard infact, so its entirely possible that the speaker has died. I would grab another speaker from somewhere or swap the speakers in the front doors round to work out if its wiring or speaker.

OP
OP
harfad
The speakers in Micras are not that great, made of cardboard infact, so its entirely possible that the speaker has died. I would grab another speaker from somewhere or swap the speakers in the front doors round to work out if its wiring or speaker.
Thank you, that sounds like a good idea. Is it easy to remove the speakers? Any suggested instructions online would be helpful.

You have to take out the screws in the door panel and pull it off if you send a PIC I'll point out where. Just try any house speaker on low volume in place of the Micra speaker.

Could be the speaker cable is worn in the rubber protective sleeve between the chassis and door (by the top door hinge) or a bad/loose plug connecting the speaker lead to the speaker in the door or just the speaker is broken.

I showed my Nissan 2000 to 2002 door speakers to a car hi-fi dealer and he was surprised and said they are good quality for factory fitted speakers but the 1998 factory fitted Sanyo speakers I took out my March Cabriolet were of poor quality so I swapped them for 2002 ones which upgraded the sound quality by 100%!

Gaining access to the door speaker is straight forward but if you are heavy handed you could do damage to the door trim especially the top plastic trim/rubber weather window seal or the door card (upholstered cardboard door panel). It also depends on the year of the car for example pre-face door cards and fittings are different then 1st or 2nd face lift models!

Andy :D

OP
OP
harfad
You have to take out the screws in the door panel and pull it off if you send a PIC I'll point out where. Just try any house speaker on low volume in place of the Micra speaker.
Thank you. I will do that tomorrow, when there is daylight. In the mean time, assuming the fault is with the speaker, can you suggest some cheap replacement speakers I can buy which will do the job. I am not looking for exceptionally high quality sound. Just a decent replacement speakers.

I should add that I don't have any kind of "house speakers" except the ones I have connected to my PC. Could they be used?

OP
OP
harfad
Could be the speaker cable is worn in the rubber protective sleeve between the chassis and door (by the top door hinge) or a bad/loose plug connecting the speaker lead to the speaker in the door or just the speaker is broken.

I showed my Nissan 2000 to 2002 door speakers to a car hi-fi dealer and he was surprised and said they are good quality for factory fitted speakers but the 1998 factory fitted Sanyo speakers I took out my March Cabriolet were of poor quality so I swapped them for 2002 ones which upgraded the sound quality by 100%!

Gaining access to the door speaker is straight forward but if you are heavy handed you could do damage to the door trim especially the top plastic trim/rubber weather window seal or the door card (upholstered cardboard door panel). It also depends on the year of the car for example pre-face door cards and fittings are different then 1st or 2nd face lift models!

Thank you. Those are good suggestions too. I will try them if the other solution doesn't work.

Thank you. I will do that tomorrow, when there is daylight. In the mean time, assuming the fault is with the speaker, can you suggest some cheap replacement speakers I can buy which will do the job. I am not looking for exceptionally high quality sound. Just a decent replacement speakers.

I should add that I don't have any kind of "house speakers" except the ones I have connected to my PC. Could they be used?

Go to a scrappy and get some Nissan 2000-2002 speakers ( I paid £12 for each) I wired them up to my new Sony MEX-N6001BD audio unit in my March Cabriolet (which only has front speakers) and they sound great but it's your choice and money!

when i got my micra the right speaker was blown, got some pioneer speakers from halfords on sale for 20 quid, very good quality for the price and a big difference on the standard speakers.

if you take both door cards off, unplug and swap over the speakers to check it is the speaker and not the wiring, can change the balance on most radios to left and right to help check

OP
OP
harfad
IMG_0334.JPG IMG_0335.JPG
Okay, I got the pics. Here are two pics, one of the door panel and one of the speaker grill.

The blue is screws you have to remove. The green part pulls off out and in the marked direction. The window handle has a clip inside which need to be pulled with a hook or something then it just slides off the shaft. After that pry the entire door panel off around the red line. You'll hear loud clicks and probably break a few pins ( almost impossible not to) but its not a problem then when it's released around the red line you pull up like the yellow arrows the slide the top part out. The last parts easier with the window rolled down. I think that's pretty much it

OP
OP
harfad
The blue is screws you have to remove. The green part pulls off out and in the marked direction. The window handle has a clip inside which need to be pulled with a hook or something then it just slides off the shaft. After that pry the entire door panel off around the red line. You'll hear loud clicks and probably break a few pins (almost impossible not to) but its not a problem then when it's released around the red line you pull up like the yellow arrows the slide the top part out. The last parts easier with the window rolled down. I think that's pretty much it
Thank you, I will try that when I am ready. I have bought a couple of used Micra speakers on eBay which came out of a 2001 Micra, which hopefully will fit mine. Mine is around 1996 or 1997.

OP
OP
harfad
... can change the balance on most radios to left and right to help check
Thank you. How do you do that? Mine is a standard Nissan Micra radio, probably made around 1996. See attached pic. That could in fact be the problem. It could be that it has been configured so that all the sound comes out of one speaker, and nothing comes out of the other.

IMG_0337.JPG

No idea how on that radio but if you disconnect the battery for 5 min it'll reset the radio back to factory default. You'll lose saved radio channels though. Might want to check you don't need a code I wouldn't think so though

OP
OP
harfad
No idea how on that radio but if you disconnect the battery for 5 min it'll reset the radio back to factory default. You'll lose saved radio channels though. Might want to check you don't need a code I wouldn't think so though
It had already been reset when I bought it. It had been disconnected from the battery for some time before, and it was asking me for a code. I found a great site on the Web which supplied me with the radio code for free, after providing it with the serial number and part number printed on the back of the radio. But then I had this problem with it. Maybe that is what it does. When it resets itself after being disconnected from the battery, it shifts all the volume to the right speaker, with nothing coming out of the left speaker. Now it has been fixed, thanks to help from you guys.

OP
OP
harfad
Sorry everyone, but the fault has occurred again. Adjusting the balance did fix it for a while, but not for long! Now it has gone back to how it was before, and adjusting the balance doesn't fix it any more. No idea what it could be. The only thing I can think of is that it is a fault with the radio. It couldn't be the wiring or the speakers, because it did fix it for a while. Anyways, just letting you know. Thanks for your suggestions all the same.

Maybe the previous owner turned the balance all to the right as they got miffed with the left speaker going on and off. I'm sure it'll be a wiring issue.