Nitrous Oxide

Charlotte001

Ex. Club Member
Wouldn't that be an interesting thought ? NO2.

Been thinking about it just to give the automatic 998cc K10 a little more punch on start off/junctions/traffic lights etc. Has anyone ever heard of it being done or is the engine too weak to cope ?

Problem two would be the carb I've never heard of NO2 on a carb engine especially downdraft.

Charlotte

I think the engine would handle the extra power if the gas was injected properly, but doubt very much that the auto box would cope very well at all.

Not particulaty a great idea with the kind of auto box on the K11s. They use a metal powder electromagnetic clutch, they can over heat if abuse. and the belts can snap. both of which are very expensive.

Although yeah its been done on carbs many times, still think your best bet is an engine conversion. You can say about the insurance but all things your thinking of your have to notify them anyway so just drop in a 1.2 for starters, doubt your see much increase in insurance.

Not particulaty a great idea with the kind of auto box on the K11s. They use a metal powder electromagnetic clutch, they can over heat if abuse. and the belts can snap. both of which are very expensive.

Its a K10 not K11 isnt it......?

yeah K10. Ed's ST has it, but thats not quite the same as your average auto!

Oh sorry, I must have been asleep! The K10 would take it better still not much point in keeping the auto however.

around half a grand ( ish ) for a fixed hit.....and a few hundred more for a progressive controler (optionnal but reccommended)

I think Ed is an agent for the wizards...so maybe he could sort you out?

if you want to move up through the power ( 50, 75 bhp etc ) it's only a few quid extra after thhe initial outlay...and ofcourse the kit is not a permenant attachment so you can move it to another carif desired (reinstall)

<EDIT> sorry for double post...not sure how this happened?

Autoboxes are stronger than people give them credit, don't forget the yanks use them in everything. When 5th gear wanted to experiment with N20 they used an automatic golf.

My toyota auto-box in the vectra went a few times for silly things like failure of an o-ring, slipping of the bands, all to do generally with overheating rather than failure of componants and thats just down to vauxhall skimping on costs by not giving the box its own oil cooler.

Can I just clarify...

By "Autobox" we're talking about a normal automatic gear box right?

I thought these were supposed to be more reliable (and used to be less petrol efficient)...

Big power auto boxes are a whole different ball game, and cannot be compared to a K10 box, they have specifically set torque converters and are optimised for the job. In some cases auto boxes are VERY strong indeed, however that has nothing to do with the K10 autos, where nitrous would be quite wasted in my opinion.

i have to agree with ED mechanically the k10 is pretty old and if you just went around red lining the hell out of it for 30minutes that would be testing the cars ability, let alone throwing Nitrous at it which will totally fry the components.

In the states its very popular to equip new cars with nitrous as they have just rolled out of the factory and they handle the extra energy thrown at them.

I would not reconmend any old, stock small engine cars to get nitrous!

if you just went around red lining the hell out of it for 30minutes that would be testing the cars ability,

I think it would take longer than 30 minutes on redline to test the k10's ability. my MA10 has taken high revs on a regular occurance over the years, for short & long distances and the main block itself has stood up to it.

Its tempting to stick NOS in the engine to really put it to its limits!

do it. The engine wont care, the headgasket and clutch might :) I can get special headgaskets anyway !!:)

I agree if I could I'd get rid of the autobox but as I drive on hand controls the autobox removal isn't an option. It is a K10 not a K11.

Is the autobox the same as a K11 or 12 with it's metal powder electromagnetic clutching system or a simple standard fluid box ?

If I fit No2 then I need to upgrade a few things and as I've read Ed has said it's technically possible even with the carbs. I'm also thinking porting the head, even though this won't do much it will give a little. Ed do you know if I can get an uprated cam shaft? I can't get one from my normal suppliers (cos they're all boring)

Charlotte

The K10 is a normal auto box. Three speed with fluid torque converter. I can get uprated cam shaft. They are £140 exchange.

Ed

it would be a dry system with a carb though wouldnt it, as you cant just tap off the fuel rail to add more fuel cos there isnt one.

surely you'd have to be more careful with a dry system?

sorry my knowledge of N2Oing carb'd engines stands at, well, zero!

No it would be a wet system and yes you can. there is a fuel pump on it. :)

awww what? you shouldnt have said that.......... me direct port kit might get "dusted off" for testing in the daily hack now :devil:

Thanks tho ed, I honestly never thought of that, with carbs running low pressure fuel systems.

Ok a cam for around £140 think it was can you get me the figures on that Ed please need to work a few things out. What kind of costings am I looking for a No2 kit because a lot i've looked at don't supply the cylinder.

Once I've got sensible sized wheels I'm going to start unless I can get an ST engine first or a larger engine. I've got a chance of getting a 1.5/6 manual K10 which I'd need to convert to auto as a fluid clutch on the end would cost silly money.

Charlotte

When my K10 is no longer needed, the plan is to hook up an N-X kit (currently on my friends Ẽfini RX-7), using the widest injectors that we have, which are about a 200hp boost...then see how strong the MA10 really is. I will film it and post it up, but it won't be for some months yet.

Used in moderation Nitrous is a simple power modification that will work on any engine. I wouldn't recommend using much more than a 35hp jet on a micra for long though. Your engine, gearbox and clutch will suffer.

Yeah been thru 3 solenoids on that particular kit in 2 years...it's poor. But when the solenoids are working it has the desired effect!

And I'm afraid I couldn't bring myself to SIT in a Fiesta or Saxo, never mind spend any of my time working on one or filming one! lol The idea was brought up on the day I bought the car...and I was all for it...although I've become oddly attached to the lil thing these last few days so it may never happen!

Back