NIStune ECU

ronin_kid

61 cubic inches of power
Matt down at >>NIStune<< seems to be making good progress with the new type 5 board, which means a plug-and-play tuning solution for the K11 may well be available in the not too distant future!. :grinning:

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
It already is, but dont expect it to be anywhere near as simple as you expect. There are issues with the K11 ecus that have not been sorted by anyone I know - including myself.

OP
OP
ronin_kid

ronin_kid

61 cubic inches of power
sorry Ed, i dont understand...

are you saying that the NIStune board is already available, or that there is another plug-and-play solution.?.

k6pfs

Ex. Club Member
It already is, but dont expect it to be anywhere near as simple as you expect. There are issues with the K11 ecus that have not been sorted by anyone I know - including myself.

They have you know! Pectel

take a look at my blog for the other photos of this ECU

101_0383.jpg

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
No pectal haven't, that's their own ecu with a nissan plug. That's nothing like a K11 ecu is really.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Its not open software so its no good to anyone really. Although that is a normal flash chip there which could be read and changed.

k6pfs

Ex. Club Member
Its not open software so its no good to anyone really. Although that is a normal flash chip there which could be read and changed.

Do you fancy giving a go? its running like a bag of spanners at the mo!

i'm trying to get a hold/ book someone to get it set up correctly.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
id be happy to have a look couldn't guarantee anything though!

jowley

Ex. Club Member
ed could u tune my car in the near future itll need the bike carbs tuning and the ignition if poss on standard ecu??

k6pfs

Ex. Club Member
ed could u tune my car in the near future itll need the bike carbs tuning and the ignition if poss on standard ecu??

hi mate,
i think that was Ed's point in the first place you cant or it is difficult to tune a standard k11 ecu ( Ed is that right?) so you would have to go down the route of a programmable ecu if you wanted to run bike carbs.

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Yes. Bike carbs on stock ecu is a waste of time, since it would be cheaper to change to omex ecu etc, than to try and get a stock ecu running well on an alpha-n setup.

OP
OP
ronin_kid

ronin_kid

61 cubic inches of power
hi Ed,

sorry but you still havent answered my origional question ~

are there other plug-and-play solutions available fot the K11.?.

and if not what were you refering to in your first reply.?.

i understand tuning wont be that simple, but from what i've read on NIStunes website this will be a completly programable new board, designed from scratch to be suitable for a range of vehicles using similar ecu's, rather then being a modified stock board or daughterboard arrangement... fingers crossed this should negate some of the problems with the stock ecu...

jdmk11mike

Ex. Club Member
one of the only major tuning factors on an engine is fueling, in which case you would be aswell getting yourself an fse fuel regulator as these are fully adjustable, ecu reprogramming is expensive for what gains you will get, and thats just the reprogramming, the hardware itself will set you back a small fortune, not worth it in my eyes, especially if im right in thinking that ronin kid is only running a mere cg10de???

Alienfish360

Awesome Dawson
FSE adjustable fuel regulator is nothing like fuelling set ups with ECU's. It adjusts fuel pressure, not how much and when and how long. It is next to useless.

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
one of the only major tuning factors on an engine is fueling, in which case you would be aswell getting yourself an fse fuel regulator as these are fully adjustable, ecu reprogramming is expensive for what gains you will get, and thats just the reprogramming, the hardware itself will set you back a small fortune, not worth it in my eyes, especially if im right in thinking that ronin kid is only running a mere cg10de???

you only go to the lengths of mapping the ECU when you have changed the engine to a point where the readings from the sensors push the map off the scale, for example when the car is turboed you get so much air coming in that the ecu just max's out.

jowley

Ex. Club Member
Yes. Bike carbs on stock ecu is a waste of time, since it would be cheaper to change to omex ecu etc, than to try and get a stock ecu running well on an alpha-n setup.

so which ecu would be the best and how much for it and a tuning session for the ecu and carbs?? cheers jowley

micra_pete

Ex. Club Member
ronin kid, nistune is a daughterboard for the k11 ecu

one of the only major tuning factors on an engine is fueling, in which case you would be aswell getting yourself an fse fuel regulator as these are fully adjustable, ecu reprogramming is expensive for what gains you will get,

Fueling is the minor part.

An adj FPR does not even come close to comparing with a remapped ecu

OP
OP
ronin_kid

ronin_kid

61 cubic inches of power
nistune is a daughterboard for the k11 ecu

i stand corrected Pete - thanks for pointing out that (now glaringly obvious!) fact :blush:

but at an estimated £200 to £250 delivered to the UK (not including import tax etc) i still reckon its gotta be worth a shot

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Like pete said, it works just like any daughter board does. But its not fully developed and does have issues (same with any daughter board). It depends how far from stock settings you go with it. But its not an easy one to play with compared to other nissan ECU's. Dont forget you will also need the software which is another £xx.

OP
OP
ronin_kid

ronin_kid

61 cubic inches of power
board - 240AUD (tbc)
software licence - 200AUD
international shipping - 35AUD

475 Australian dollars = 204.735612 British pounds (atm)

i assume the software licence includes them actually providing the software (as theres no seperate listing for it on the order form)

OP
OP
ronin_kid

ronin_kid

61 cubic inches of power
+ import tax and customs charges.

yes Ed, as i said before, £200 - £250 not including import tax etc...

plus i'd probably want to to spend out the same again on a decent AFR/EGT guage...

but at that price it is a viable and cheaper alternative to your good-self, plus i dont have to travel/pay your travel for instilation, and i can tune it myself or get a local tuner to do it for me if i want a professional job done....

Alienfish360

Awesome Dawson
I don't think you'd be able to do it yourself, unless you have experience and the knowledge to do it.

Regardless of which ECU system you use, it's far from point and click setup, that's why people like Ed can charge the prices they charge, is because it takes a lot of knowledge and experience, that mostly is unrealistic to achieve for most people who just want to do their own car.

jdmk11mike

Ex. Club Member
ronin kid, nistune is a daughterboard for the k11 ecu

Fueling is the minor part.

An adj FPR does not even come close to comparing with a remapped ecu

i seriously beg to differ ,how can fuel be a minor part of ANY engine setup, especially engine tuning, fuel + air = combustion, take either away and the bang just dont happen, get one wrong and the bang doesnt happen very well, granted the fse isnt as complex as a remappable ecu,however it does provide a certain degree of fuel tuning, hence the adjustable part of an fse fuel regualtor, and isnt as expensive, for a little bhp gain, its a good buy, not sure what they are like on smaller engines, it worked a treat on my ga16de and on my audi 2.3 20v 5 cylinder

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
I'm with pete, FSE or any fuel pressure reg cannot come close. K11 ecus would also adjust their AFR base too to compensate for the FSE and all kinds of issues can arise. Rising rate regs are the worse since they are not linear and ECUs are not designed for this.

OP
OP
ronin_kid

ronin_kid

61 cubic inches of power
Alienfish -

i've skim read most of the applicable pdf's in the NIStune documents section, plus their are a number of other generic books and websites available that would be good for background info - i dont expect it to be easy, but then i wouldnt have packed in a £12k p/a job and gone to university if i wanted an easy life...

the advantage of this system i can see is that it comes pre-loaded with a stock map, so it will run like standard from day one.. the software also allows for several other maps to be kept on your pc, and once connected you can swap maps at will, allowing me to run a stock map for the daily commute, but swap to an alternative map when i want to tune in the evenings or weekends...

i'm not recccomending this system to everyone, but there a more then a few members on here who would probably be willing to give it a go, plus if your not confident or willing to learn, or just wanted a profesional map done, then there are five uk based tuners (other then Ed) who are also able to install and tune NIStune boards...

solarice

Ex. Club Member
Thumbs up for the give it a shot attitude ronin_kid, after all you only learn by trying :) ...so long as youre monitoring the car, you can fiddle with whatever you like and not kill it.

I personally dont think engine mapping is as hard to do, as people would have you believe. :)

The final map may not be as good as a professional map, but you have the information to keep tweaking it later on...