Nissan Sport+ 1.5 2006

Broke down this morning car cut out after driving 1/2 mile turning over cranking no firing, RAC came 2 1/2 hours later primed the hand pump and a squirt quick start spray it started he followed me home and once home it restarted ok.

He said it may be a air leak maybe maybe hand primer pump, what size do i need? sorry i did look on line but was confused im not very mechanical

regards Kenneth

Diesel engines are susceptible to air and water in the system, if you go under the car left side front you can access the fuel filter tap, undo this for a short time and drain off any water or contaminates that has deposited at the bottom of the filter housing, the black shaped bulb located near the inner front bulkhead is there to "prime the fuel system" if you run out of fuel and/or change the fuel filter. I recommend adding some Archoil in your diesel tank at 200 to 1 ratio, this will help clean the internal pump and injectors and quieten the combustion process down.:)

Diesel engines are susceptible to air and water in the system, .:)
Thank you sorry for late reply.
Cut a long story short a mechanic said my injector pump was leaking not worth fixing and suggested selling the car on say eBay as running, no Mot, and describe leak someone would buy it for a bit more than scrapping, anyway fiddling one morning i squeezed the plastic hand primer pump near bottom of windscreen, Luckily i saw a bubble or two very slight easily missed if not looking there. The little pipe rubber fitting over injector return nipple was cracked on further inspection saw others also cracked. Put simple there is a return from the injectors back into the pump and probably the diesel fuel tank this is not under high pressure. However it introduces air in to the system over time (this varies)

A. makes starting hard again varies, resulting in excess cranking before firing. it also makes one suspect faulty glow plugs when it is not.
B. It can make the car stop dead or cut out, which happened to me luckily at 4-5mph.

i suggest buying the whole rail which connects all the injectors along a tubing rail, then a feed off each injector nipple with a return to injector pump nipple. It simply pushes on and about 10 mins maximum, they are approx £14 delivered inc postage, its the cheapest fix ever, car runs and pulls well now a little 1.5 diesel train.

I read somewhere and was told that a leak on the return would not causes issues, IT MOST CERTAINLY DOES., funny enough the RAC recovery guy who got me started a month or so back first thoughts were its taking in air somewhere,

ie pipe leak between tank and pump, maybe hand plastic primer had minute pinprick hole, diesel filter replaced and not tight on.

So its really worth trying, another thing it was not immediately obvious the pipes on the return rail system were screwed, so can be missed,

Mine i suspect was the original return pipes from factory

Check out this video of poor fuel/ injector problems: /www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1bL2McGa0Q.

I Agree that the pipes feeding fuel to and from the injectors could be deteriorating, I plan to change the fuel system in mine over winter and also the priming bulb, bits are cheap enough and as the car is laid up for winter I will change the the timing belt, alternator and water pump,and glow plugs. Also follow your own intuition with car faults some garages are NOT the experts they pretend to be!;)

Back