Nissan Service Advise Please !

C

cadafi

Hello Everyone !

Can you please tell me what can I do with a dodgy Nissan Service Centre (authorized dealer's one) that has "taken care" of my Micra ?

Here's the letter I wrote to them :

At approximately 8.30 am on the 8th June 2006, I brought my vehicle, a Nissan Micra, Registration Number xxxxxx, to your garage and asked you to service it and run a diagnostic check on it as it was developing a misfiring (engine check light came up).
and starting (igniting) faults.

When I collected the vehicle from you at approximately 10 am next day, I was told that you had carried out a "full service". The bill for this work was £593.01 which I paid in cash accordingly.

On the 10th June, 2 days after the service, the vehicle developed faults:- it had problems starting when I turned on the ignition and once I eventually got it going, it was misfiring.
Eventually when I was driving down the Walnut Tree roundabout (crossing Tongwell Street V11 and Groveway H9) the engine has stopped. Because of that and the fact that the car brakes and power steering wouldn’t work normal I’ve had almost an accident involving a pedestrian who was crossing the road by that time.

Under the Supply of Goods and Services Act, you should carry out the service with reasonable care and skill and for a reasonable price, using parts that are both of satisfactory quality and fit for their purpose.

The above faults indicate that you have failed to do so. I therefore request that you either rectify the faults within the next 7 days, free of charge, or pay the costs of an independent mechanic to put the faults right.

I should be grateful for you comments, within the next 7 days, before I consider any further legal action.

Yours faithfully

Anyone, any comment ? Do you think that will help them to once and for all deal with my Micra's problems?
I really do not know what to do with them. After I gave them my car for Re-servicing today I've been told I may be charged again for the labour they'll do on it. I think this is all bunch of jibbersih and they have to take at least some resposibilty for the work they did on my car. After all I almost hit a person on the road...
Has anyone had any problems like that before ?
PLEAS HELP !
Thanks !!

Thank, BTW, do you know where can I get free legal advise ? I'm polish, live here almost 2 years now but still having some problems getting around...

i'm not sure, from the detail of your letter i would think this: a full service will be listed in your owners manual. it consists of a series of checks and replacement of service items. you asked for a service and a diagnostic. they were obliged to do the service as listed in manual and report on result of diagnostic. you hadnt instructed them to do any repair on missfire or starting faults. if their bill is for the service and diagnostic then they are not at fault. but if they have billed you specifically for the repair/replacement of items regarding the missfire/starting fault then they are at fault if they have fitted a faulty part or a non needed part.

the letter sounds perfect, they obviously haven't fixed the fault it was sent there to sort out, go to the citizens advice beauraeu and see if they can tell you if you can gat any form of legal aid, most towns have a CAB office, check out their web site.

nizzanz1 said:
i'm not sure, from the detail of your letter i would think this: a full service will be listed in your owners manual. it consists of a series of checks and replacement of service items. you asked for a service and a diagnostic. they were obliged to do the service as listed in manual and report on result of diagnostic. you hadnt instructed them to do any repair on missfire or starting faults. if their bill is for the service and diagnostic then they are not at fault. but if they have billed you specifically for the repair/replacement of items regarding the missfire/starting fault then they are at fault if they have fitted a faulty part or a non needed part.

I wanted to have the servicing done, but apart from it I underlined the misfiring problem to them and told 'em to do the diagnostics as there was 'engine check' light coming up frequently. So they were supposed to look for that fault especially and this was the main reason I took the car to Nissan, not any regular garage. Anyway, it is not necessary to plug the car into the diagnostics to find the misfiring prblem as they could've taken the car for a test drive (which they told they did) and see for themselves....

but was the bill for a service and diagnostic, or including parts/labour on fixing the missfire?

That is what I have on my receipt I got from Nissan
A: SLEV3
Carry out "level 3:service to Nissan Specification
do not change spark plugs
Reduce cost of service by price of sparky plugs

L: Oil
Total - Fina Quartz 5-30 semi - synthetic engine oil

Z: ENV
Environmental green charge. Disposal of toxic waste and non-degredable waste products from your vehicle. Includes use of consumable items.

A: Lab
carry out repair:-
Replaced leaking rear wheel cylinders & brake shoes

A: Lab
carry out repair:-
Replaced leaking O/S C.v Gator
N1520870j00 Oil Filter
N1102601M02 Washer, Drain
NKS92099910, Screenw 250 ML
N165460u800 Filter, Air
N166541B00 Filter Air
NA640M41BM0SA Filter, Fuel
N441006F611 Cylinder Assy-R
N440606F625 Shoe Set-Rear B
ZTBJ4184 Boot Kit

That's all there is in the Cash Sale Invoice

When it comes to the misfiring problem I am 100% sure it is not related to spark plugs in any way. It misfired before I've replaced them.

They were supposed to diagnose the obvious misfiring fault. I asked them to do so. Looks like tey did not even bother. There's no diagnostic check in Invoice. When I asked them why, I was told that the diagnostics was apparently icluded in the service.

they havent charged you for repair of missfire so you cant complain about that, you can complain they forgot to attend to it, but thats not a financial complaint. looks like they charged for 2 air filters though so check that out.

nizzanz1 said:
they havent charged you for repair of missfire so you cant complain about that, you can complain they forgot to attend to it, but thats not a financial complaint. looks like they charged for 2 air filters though so check that out.
It's the cabin air filter probably. When it comes to the misfiring it looks like they've found lots of other faults but did not bother to check what I asked them for. Thanks to their proffesionalism I almost hit a pedestrian. The thing is, now I'm just scared to drive my car, besides before I gave it to them it has never switched off while driving...

So guys, tell me please what should I do about them ? After all I paid almost 600 quid for that lousy piece of work for God's sake !

sounds like the mass airflow sensor, which doesnt help your situation with nissan but to get it fixed you will probably need to try and find a 2nd hand one on ebay or a scrap yard (as nissan charge £500 for one).

Problem with nissan your having, as nizzanz pointed out they dont seem to have charged you for any diagnostic or repair of the missfire.

hmmm dunno if this is a valid point but anyway diagnostic usuallys means a "check" not a "fix" if u get me...if at my garage u asked 4 a diagnostics check with the comp i would just slap it on comp tell u ur codes n then tell u hand over ur money without actually fixing anything...even if u told me it misfires etc...

Update : Nissan did not find any fault, now they want to charge me an additional 200 for the labour. What a rip off ....o_O I do not know what to do with them. I have witnesses when I almost hit that guy + the guy's details as well (the pedestrian). What should I do tomorrow when I'll talk to them ?

u said it was misfiring was it actually misfiring or was it u assuming it was with the engine light up? but the fault its not gone yeh but if they cleared fault codes b4 it may not show up till a good few couple of miles ie mine used to pop on after every 100 or so miles after its been reset

when engine cut how fast were u going as in u wasnt going too slow to stall were u cuz u could mayb use the witnesses as alibi's to say that it wasnt ur fault the car stalled at the time n date stated n signed that would indicate there is definately a problem with the car

Had a similar problem when my brakes failed 3 days after a full service and was found that the rear drums were faulty and never checked during service.I called dealer and they fixed it but wanted to charge 480 pounds.I paid but contacted the office of trading standards and they took all the details and took it further.I got all my money back for initial service aswell and a complimentary service voucher for future.To contact them visit http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governm...cids=Yahoo_PPC&cre=Government_Citizens_Rights

All services are free.

Back