Nissan S Cargo

I saw one of these odd looking things today in the works carpark (never seen one before) and the owner told me it was based on the Nissan Micra? Is that true?

landscape-1476455203-images-nissan-s-cargo-1989-3.jpg

It was really cute! x

Fun, aren't they. Never seen one for real, but I know that they were based on the slightly larger Nissan Cherry B11 chassis (unlike the Figaro and Pao which WERE based on the K10 Micra)

The name S-Cargo Beth, is a play on the French 'escargot' or snail, which it strongly resembles... I've seen a couple in the flesh, but they are a very rare beast in the UK

That's a good description! My first car was a Dyane, basically a 2CV facelift, I'm still fond of them. The canvas roof is great, the seats can be easily taken out for al fresco dining, and they can fly along if you keep the revs up. Many moons ago a friend had one, he removed the body work, replaced it with a wooden boat-like structure complete with mast and sails, replaced the wheels with iron ones just the right width and we ran it up and down a deserted railway line in the west of Ireland. Great crack, and although the steering had been made non functional, it was probable slighter safer going in reverse. The sails worked after a fashion, but mostly we used the engine. We had not allowed for having a mast up while going through tunnels, bur we got away with it, with inches to spare.

Now that is seriously cool, deathtrapness notwithstanding. I think I'd prefer the 4 wheel version all the same, and I imagine one could use an umbrella if it rained. The handling of the 2CV was legendary, it was said to be impossible to roll one, though I managed somehow.

Back