Nissan Micra Years Affected By Timing Chains?

Hi all,

My girlfriend is after a Micra for her first car but the very common timing chain issues are stopping us getting one. I know 2003 years were affected...were 2004 models fixed? or was it later than this?

I cant find any official info from Nissan about a revised chain setup being implemented.

Any help would be great!

Thanks

buy a late k11 a lot less problems !!! just watch for rust lol

I totally agree.

My 1996 K11 of the last six years just keeps going with no expensive repairs, except a one-off £100 welding job of both inner and outer sills for MOT.

I put petrol in the tank, myself in the front seat and just drive the thing, as it just keeps going, that’s what it was built for!

I've had a petrol k12 for 10 years, it's been 100% reliable apart from the boot lid switch playing up...renault switchgear of course.<sigh> Problem is the internet does highlight potential problems which may not be a problem for many owners.

The timing chain issue was a bad batch of chains fitted to 2003 cars, and maybe 2004. It seems to be worse on the early 1.0 litre cars.

And not a speck of rust unlike a friends 2004 MX5, discusting on such a new car.

Last edited:
Ok,well immediately your bound to get the slates for k12 and chain issues. Ive owned mine for about 7/8 years. Its a 54 plate 1.0l e model,now over 100k. Ive had the cam and crank sensor fail,about £15 each to buy new,other than that,no issues whatsover regarding chain. Keep oil changed regularly and chain should never be an issue.

Back