Nissan Micra wont start, just get green "KEY" light

Hi, this is my first time posting in the forum.

My K12 53 plated Nissan Micra with intelligent key entry has been sitting on the driveway for around a month. When I went to unlock it with the key fob it wouldn't unlock. Pressing the button on the door didn't work either. I then unlocked the car manually from the passenger door and tried starting the car.

When I turn the ignition switch to the ON position the red security light goes away and I just get the green "KEY" light constantly on and nothing else on the dash shows. The engine wont even turn over. I assumed the battery was just dead.

I then tried to jump start the car but even then when trying to start it I just get the green "KEY" light. I tested the headlights and they work. The brake lights also light up as well. When using the key fob to unlock and lock the car what happens is that the indicator lights on the dash light up but the indicators on the car don't. Also neither the radio nor the fan come on when the switch is turned.

I have noticed that the break pedal is stiff when I press it to turn the ignition and that usually happens when the car is not happy for some reason.

Does anyone have any idea why this could be happening?

Have you disconnected the battery for a few minutes?
It sounds like the immobilizer kicking it to me, Failing that i would check the fuses.

Last edited:
Does the car start if you use the actual key?
It flips out, just take the centre of the turn bit off to get to the physical keyhole (ignition)
If it starts up change the battery in the keyfob ;)
My mums does this a bit <_<

If not, check the charge of the car battery itself with a volt meter?
Maybe you've not enough juice?

OP
OP
A
I've tried it with the flip out key and it still doesn't work. The headlights and brake lights work so the car has power. For some reason it doesn't start.

Have you disconnected the battery for a few minutes?
It sounds like the immobilizer kicking it to me, Failing that i would check the fuses.
Try this
Disconnect the battery for a few minutes, then reconnect, try again to start. Just incase of immobiliser

When you turn the key can you hear a clicking noise?
The solonoid kicking in but not enough for the starter to do so

If your indicators flash on the dash display but your actual indicators don't, Still sounds like not enough voltage in your battery to me :(

My neighbours lexus had just a measly 7volts from his battery...his lights still came on but it wouldn't start even with jump, we had to charge the battery overnight to get it upto 13 volts so he had enought to start and go buy a new battery :p

Do you have a voltmeter? Or a neighbour/friend you can borrow one from to check what you're getting from the battery?