Nissan Micra K12 1.5 dci turbo

I've been doing masses of research on turbocharging and how to turbo, but I'm not sure if i'm overthinking this whole mod far too much.

I've designed a full new intake manifold and exhaust manifold, as well as redesigned the airbox and throttle body position all to accommodate for a turbo, but I'm not sure how much of this a production turbo will actually need. It's an 82bhp turbocharger from a Nissan Micra K12 1.5 dci, so would this need the full works such as a turbo ecu and map and all the necessary supporting mods such as a blow off valve, performance fuel pump, performance throttle body and boost controller? Again, i'm not sure if i'm overthinking this whole thing and preparing the car for some massive turbo when in fact its only a small turbo, or if turbocharging a non turbo car is just this much work ....

Okay, so ive been researching like a thing that researches a lot, and ive got some questions:
1.) An external wastegate goes in place of the internal wastegate and fits one end over the nipple at the induction to turbo side and then has a dump pipe which goes ..... to the exhaust manifold? Or have I got this wrong, because i've heard that an external wastegate would need a specially forged manifold with a dedicated runner for the wastegate, but wouldn't this runner get extremely damn hot because the line will be hooked up to the exhaust manifold, or would it be possible to instead run this line to the other side of the turbo which runs into the intercooler as you would with an internal wastegate?
2.) An electronic boost controller uses a T-pipe to intersect the joining line between the turbo and the wastegate intake, correct? Would the boost controller then run to the ecu monitor which would be mounted on the dash, or would it need boost and temperature readings from places other than the wastegate, or would you not run a boost controller and an external wastegate at the same time, or would you run both? Hahaha :p
3.) Would a samco pipe kit be better for an intercooler than forged stainless steel kit, or would they both be as good as one another or ....?
4.) ECU programming the turbo would need a remap? Or could it be done safely with a plug and play ecu, or just with the wastegate and boost controller?
5.) Is it worth getting a wideband oxygen sensor or are you better off leaving the calculations to the remap and assuming everything will run correctly constantly?

frank

Club Member
the w/g runs on the hot-side only (just exhaust gasses) and the actuator for it is pressure/boost fed and does,nt get hot
the boost controller bleeds off, or delays some of the pressure going to the actuator, so that it opens later

So does the boost controller only have one inlet that runs to the turbo nipple, the other venting into the atmosphere? Or do you have to run a pipe out of the boost controller to the exhaust?

frank

Club Member
So does the boost controller only have one inlet that runs to the turbo nipple, the other venting into the atmosphere? Or do you have to run a pipe out of the boost controller to the exhaust?
the boost controller interrupts the pressure feed to the actuator, and there are various types, a plain vent/bleed screw, a ball and spring type that holds the pressure back, and an electronic type that alters a valve

And what about finding a suitable vacuum source for the electronic boost controller? Would this go just on the other side of the throttle body on the intake manifold?

frank

Club Member
And what about finding a suitable vacuum source for the electronic boost controller? Would this go just on the other side of the throttle body on the intake manifold?
you can run all of the vacuum/pressure pipes from 1 source basically (the inlet mani) so the fuel-reg and boost gauge and actuator all receive positive or negative pressure (depending on how much throttle you are running)
most setups have the actuator connected to the chargepipe tho (which see,s no vacuum conditions basically)

i heard somewhere that running these pipes too close together can compromise your readings .... would these readings have to be taken from the inlet manifold before the manifold splits into it's individual cylinder inlets or can you take these readings from the individual inlet pipes?

frank

Club Member
you can use a vacuum log/block if you want, and pipe it to the plenum near brake vacuum hose

weapon-r-boost-vaccum-manifold.jpg

Hmm good call ...... that's another good point actually, the old air box would have to be torn about so that the throttle body could be directly plumbed to the turbo without the boost pressure going into an airbox which has the throttle body fixed inside it. So, where would the brake line and the carbon canister purge valve be relocated to?

frank

Club Member
you would remove the airbox and fit a filter to the turbo inlet, the brake hose is downstream of the t/b, and bin the carbon canister stuff :)

ahhh k, what is the carbon canister for ...? So you could just feed the brake line to just behind the throttle body? And an external wastegate would come from the pre-turbo nipple and then bolt onto the exhaust manifold via a flange?

frank

Club Member
you leave the brake hose (part-time positive pressure wont hurt) and you can buy weld-on external w/g flanges or Vee band fittings

Tubby? And can you reccommend any decent external wastegates? I was honestly considering one just to get the blow off sound ;) The gfb one is good but its pretty expensive, plus itd need to have a special flange welded onto the wastegate .....

Attachments

• GoFast-ResponsBOV_4.jpg
    GoFast-ResponsBOV_4.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 414

frank

Club Member
Tubby? And can you reccommend any decent external wastegates? I was honestly considering one just to get the blow off sound ;) The gfb one is good but its pretty expensive, plus itd need to have a special flange welded onto the wastegate .....
nah, thats a bov (coldside) the w/g is hotside only

So you've got a blue blow off valve that goes from the manifold side of the exhaust portion of your turbo to a separate dump pipe? And the external wastegate is the black valve that goes from .... to ....? And in my own setup, the black gfb blow off valve uses the silver pipe to connect the valve to the charge pipe and then uses the nipple ontop to connect a pressure sensor to the intake manifold?

frank

Club Member
no, the bov goes between the turbo compressor and the t/b (and is sucked open by the extra vacuum when you lift)
the w/g is just a pressure relief valve for the exhaust gasses

Genius ;) haha so the blow off valve will do its own thing when you take your foot off the throttle, whereas the wastegate needs to be manipulated by a boost controller for increased boost levels whilst running the turbo with the throttle open?